where does this part go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where does this part go

I am doing my carbs on my gs850 and using the carb cleaning guide but I don't see where this small screen goes .I am trying to attach a picture. 1466185788735.jpg

Could be a filter from needle jet valve, the main fuel in to float bowl. Other part looks like a pilot jet.
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Can't tell from that angle, is if flat or dome-shaped?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The brass part is the pilot jet and the black rubber part is used to hold the metal plug in place but I'm not sure that's the picture you intended since there is no metal screen shown.

If the screen is domed shaped then it goes on the bottom of the float valve seat. If it's flat then the screen is still associated to the float valve, but it's an after market float valve seat.
        Last edited by JTGS850GL; 06-17-2016, 03:13 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Please get more acquainted with the site. A simple review of the carb rebuild tutorial would answer your simple question.
          If you can't even identify 2 common carb parts, how are you going to bench sync, set float heights, and even rebuild the carbs?
          The carb rebuild walks you through the entire procedure.
          Pictures, descriptions etc.
          No shortcuts. Do a thouroughly and proper job aND the benefits will be numerous.
          A GS that pulls hard and cruises smoothly as glass is amazing. One that takes forever to start or stutters under acceleration is a real let down.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
            A GS that pulls hard and cruises smoothly as glass is amazing. One that takes forever to start or stutters under acceleration is a real let down.
            TRUTH ! I know first hand when my 850 ran well it was a real wonder -- now that it stutters and runs poorly it is miserable (carbs soon to be rebuilt)
            Currently in the Stable :
            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I just put the pilot jet in for size reference, I know what it is and I have redone these carbs before with good result.
              There is no picture in the tutorial for this part so that is why I asked. I was several months ago that I took them apart and was waiting for a new carb body which I have now. This is the pic I intended and the part is not rubber but hard plastic. The center of it is very fine screen or mesh. It is flat.
              I am familiar with the site and the vast knowledge base here, that is why I asked.
              Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by stickid View Post
                This is the pic I intended and the part is not rubber but hard plastic. The center of it is very fine screen or mesh. It is flat.
                I am familiar with the site and the vast knowledge base here, that is why I asked.
                Thanks for the feedback.
                It's a float valve seat inlet screen from an aftermarket float valve. In many cases they just fall off. Not absolutely needed if the screen on the petcock is in good shape, but you might want to consider replacing the float valve assembly anyway. The reason you don't see it in the tutorial is because it's not a replacement part. It's considered part of the float valve assembly.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I cleaned the tank and installed anew petcock so probably not needed at this point. Thanks for the starlight up definitive answer.

Comment

Actually that makes perfect sense now because I did replace the float valve when I redid the carbs before and did not see this part so it must have been on the float valves and fell off when I disassembled this time.
                    One of life's little mysteries solved.
                    Thanks
                    Again

Comment

Just one more example of why aftermarket carb parts suck. The OEM screens almost never fall off.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

They are back together. The screens clipped right on firmly so all good.Now to gang them together and install. Hopefully have it running tomorrow or the next day.

Comment

That black ring with a screen goes under the float seat on a particular type of aftermarket float seat which has a differently shaped round stanchion for pressing it on than does the genuine Mikuni float seat. The Mikuni float seat uses a dome shaped brown or yellowish plastic affair to filter fuel going through the seat and stays in place much better than that flat screen you have in the picture.

Comment

Working...
                          X