Idle screw VM26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle screw VM26

Okay, so I removed my carbs to do some maintenance on the GS1000 (1979). Replaced the valve stems seals, adjusted valves, regapped plugs, retimed the points. I re-set the idle mixture screws and fuel screws and bench synced the carb rack and re-installed everything. Fired up the bike and it runs great....as long as I give it a bit of throttle. It stalls out because the idle mixture screw will not screw in enough to touch the plate to adjust the idle and the mixture screw is very tight. The carbs are bottoming out on something but I can't see what it is hitting....the sliders maybe? Any suggestions or obvious things I'm missing? I did not dissassemble the carbs...just bench synched them and set the fuel and air mix screws.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2016, 07:08 PM.

if the idle screw wont touch you Might have the sync adjusters too far in. They move the bellcrank, its like having the throttle cable too tight but the slides are closed.

Try backing them off until you can just lock the nut down and do your bench sync starting with #4. Remember to back of the idle adjuster all the way before you start.

Comment

Thanks whiterabbit. I removed the carbs and noticed the bracket holding the idle screw was bent one way ...just a little. I straightened it out and VOILA! The idle screw now works as it should.

I have a completely different problem now though. The idle when the bike is warm hangs at about 2500 rpm then slowly comes down to 1100 rpm then will sometimes drop below 500 rpm...very weird...the carbs worked perfectly before I began to muck with them and were completely rebuilt about 6 months ago.....any input would help. (I have synched them with a carb tune unit and the bike runs nice and smooth at highway speeds. It lacks a little power and will actually hold an idle at 400 rpms....it's the higher idle hangup that has me puzzled).

Comment

I would look for an air leak, or your set extremely lean on the pilot circuit.
        Does it accelerate smoothy? Will it stay running in gear at low speed at idle?

Comment

Working...
        X