Idle mix unresponsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle mix unresponsive

Hey gang, I'm just finishing up a carb cleaning and balance before deciding my 850 is ready to sell. Here's the thing: #3 is completely unresponsive to the idle mix screw. I can't kill the cylinder by running it all the way in, and backing it out 5 turns doesn't have any effect either. Idle is a bit rough, and it's a little rough under power at around 2000 rpm. Vacuum balance is even.

My theory is, a slightly PO-munged choke lever (Suzuki terminology for the little dingus on the rail that pulls the plunger out of the carb), is holding the choke circuit open just enough to mask whatever I'm doing to the idle mix. Any other ideas?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Have you verified the integrity of the mixture screw tip?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nothing jumped out at me when I took it out to make sure the o-ring was there. I didn't examine it closely either. It didn't feel different from others when bottomed. I'll have a close look when I have time to get the tank off again.

I forgot to mention I left it set 2.5 out for the test ride.
      Last edited by Dogma; 06-19-2016, 10:31 PM.
      Dogma
      --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Have you pulled the plug wire you verify the cylinder is actually firing well enough too make a difference in the way the bike is idling?

Comment

Originally posted by dantodd View Post
          Have you pulled the plug wire you verify the cylinder is actually firing well enough too make a difference in the way the bike is idling?
          I didn't think to try it. I guess because I was trying to kill the cylinder, rather than find out why it was dead. I'll add it to the list.
          Dogma
          --

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

OK, I finally had time to get back at this. Pulling the plug wire didn't change the way it was running (and made about 6 mm of arc). So, the reason I can't kill the cylinder by starving it is because it's already dead, and I'm too deaf to know the sound of a GS running on 3 cylinders. I tried running the screw from bottomed to waaay out (no spring tension) with no change. The point of the mix screw is in good shape, and the new lever on the choke rail has all of that working smoothly. So, it sounds like I need to go back and check the idle mix circuit like Steve showed me Saturday evening ('nother story).

Right?

For reference later, when I've forgotten: With mix screw and pilot jet removed, spray carb cleaner through the screw hole to verify clear passage into the throttle plate area. Cover the hole in the throttle plate area and spray again to verify clear passage back through the pilot jet seat. Use a couple drops of oil and compressed air for this one. Why not carb cleaner again?
            Dogma
            --

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

It's not unusual for a cylinder or two to not have a effect on the engines idle. As long as the bike is running well I don't worry about it.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
              X