No announcement yet.

82 850 GSL starts won't keep running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You say it's not running on all 4. What cylinder or cylinders are not firing? Could be you still have a clogged carb or you didn't bench sync them correctly. If one of the carbs is closed while the others are open due to a bad bench sync, you will have a dead cylinder on the closed carbs.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by stickid View Post
      I did a cold start this morning and it is not running on all 4 . I am going to do the valves and have been doing the research before I proceed. Once I do that and get the new filter in I am sure I will see an improvement.
      Any advice on getting the shims , do they come in a pack with the various sizes or?
      Do a search on shim club and shim spreadsheet. Follow the directions that come with the spreadsheet and you'll have your most economical solution. Otherwise shims are sold singly.

Comment

Go back and take another look at your carbs
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

yes, I checked and it seems like only 3 is getting really hot, 4 gets warmish but 1 and 2 ... cold.I also checked for spark and there is spark to all 4. I shot a bit of starter fluid into the 3 in question and 2 and 4 made it rev higher. 1 did nothing. I have the carbs off again. I must have missed something, the bench sync looked good, all 4 were opening at the same time. Looking in to the valve shims as well.The journey of learning continues.

Comment

Moved #1 plug to #3 and determined that is a bad plug. New plugs coming up !
            I also drained some gas and it is very dirty even though I cleaned the tank out in the fall I can see some rust still. It is off and going to a rad shop that will refurbish it.
            I have gone through the carbs again and I think what happened before was some dirt got into the carbs and plugged them up again.
            I will either try a temporary tank or wait until mine is done.
            Educating myself on the valves so I can make certain they are correct.

Comment

JT.
              thank-you! I had carefully rebuilt carbs, set valves, only to have bike start and die, start and die. Based on your advice , I had another look at the float bowls. The rebuilt tutorial I had didn't even mention these ports. Neither did the Haynes manual, that I saw. Even though I soaked the carbs and used ultrasonic cleaner, two of the four passages were clogged. Had to use a tiny drill bit and compressed air to clean out. Put the bowls back on-it started immediately, and...kept running. Damn good advice, I was ready to give up for the year.

Comment

Awesome, glad it worked out.I have mine running better but I will still check the valves and having my tank refurbished(rust inside). I hooked up an aux tank and here is a video of the result.

Comment

Originally posted by knewel View Post
                  JT.
                  thank-you! I had carefully rebuilt carbs, set valves, only to have bike start and die, start and die. Based on your advice , I had another look at the float bowls. The rebuilt tutorial I had didn't even mention these ports. Neither did the Haynes manual, that I saw. Even though I soaked the carbs and used ultrasonic cleaner, two of the four passages were clogged. Had to use a tiny drill bit and compressed air to clean out. Put the bowls back on-it started immediately, and...kept running. Damn good advice, I was ready to give up for the year.
                  Sometimes it's the little things that can really mess you up. Glad you got it going.
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                  X