bs34ss carb issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bs34ss carb issues

Carbs seem ok but after bike warms up idle starts racing around 2,000 rpm if I adjust the idle stop screw till it's at 1,000 rpm after a few minutes it'll start dying adjusted it back up a few minutes later she starts racing again it's a 82 gs850l I'm not as versed with these carbs to play with them without some advice.

Sounds like an air leak. Did you change the intake boot O-rings? Clean the carbs and replace the various O-rings? Vacuum sync the carbs? Adjust the valves?

You might want to check the Newbie Mistakes thread to see if anything strikes close to home.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes I did replace all the orings through cycleorings.com but I will go completely through it tomorrow and see if I can find a air leak thank you for a direction to follow.

Comment

I pretty much had the same thing, I had replaced my intake boots and o rings but my airbox boots looked okay. Out of things to try to fix the air leak I replaced the airbox boots and that helped smoothed it out.

Comment

Yeah the airbox boots don't look so hot

Comment

Don't forget the O-rings on the engine side of the intake boots. They're notorious for flattening out, drying out and cracking causing an air leak.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Those I did replace as well as all the orings in the carbs also completely cleaned them triple checked my cleaning because I've read over and over about guys having to go through their carbs again because they didn't get them clean enough.

Comment

Ya, the smaller passages in the idle and pilot circuits are harder to get completely clean. Just make sure you use a good carb dip and them IMMEDIATELY poke each opening and spray carb cleaner through every passage. Doing so will ensure you have clear passages and get you better orientated on how each path get fed.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Found the air box was leaking got it sealed up purrs like a kitten.

Comment

Have a new issue now off idle hesitation when I go to take off from a stop the bike lugs and chugs till I hit 3k rpm then she launches off like a rocket I can drive in that range but take offs not good or safe for my wife as this is her first year riding she is still learning to ride and my 79 g model is to big for her any ideas?

Comment

This is still a 82 gs850?...

since you tightenned up airbox, maybe you need to add some more mixture at idle by backing out mixture screws to avoid this hesitation.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes it is that thought had occurred to me I read that with the bike running to back them out till idle drops then screw in till idle drops counting the turns and the in between point is my setting. So I am trying that now. Being a newbie I like bouncing these things off you guys to be sure I'm on the right trail you just can't substitute experience.

Comment

Ok I have gone through the carbs again triple checked every thing float height sync carbs replaced every O ring resealed the airbox boots are still flexible and without cracks played with the air screws it still bog down off idle under load right as you take off in neutral it operates fine. Taking off from a stop it acts as if you're in third gear you have to feather the throttle to go and ride in the 3 k rpm range cause it acts the same in all gears. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by gsnewbie68 View Post
                            Any thoughts?
                            Yeah, just one, so far.

During the couple of weeks that this thread has been going, I am surprised that nobody else has mentioned what is in the first post:

Originally posted by gsnewbie68 View Post
                            bs34ss carb issues

... it's a 82 gs850l ...
                            The 850s came with BS32SS carbs, not 34s.

If you truly have 34mm carbs, that might explain the hesitation off-idle.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Your right they are bs32 that was my mistake

Comment

Working...
                              X