Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baffle for Vance & Hines 4-into-1 Street Megaphone Exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baffle for Vance & Hines 4-into-1 Street Megaphone Exhaust?

Hi Gang,

I've been riding my 79 GS750E a lot more these days over my larger, more modern, faster bike because quite honestly.........the old girl gives me something the newer bike lacks...................character!!!!

Anyway, I put one of those Vance & Hines 4 into 1 Street Megaphone exhaust systems on roughly 17 years ago, and believe it or not she still looks great, and sounds awesome.

My carbs came off of a 70's Kawasaki KZ900, and I put slightly larger jets than stock in them years ago, (no I'm not sure of the exact size) but I've had this set up for years, and the bike has run perfectly for years with this set up with no "resistance" (under 60 mph) what-so-ever.......until now.

Lately I have noticed a slight "resistance" (under 60 mph) that feels like it's coming from the exhaust by way of some form of restriction, or the backpressure being off. Once I get up past 70 mph she roars like a rocket all the way up to 115 with more to go.

I ditched the OEM, stock air box the moment I got the bike back in 93, and I've always ran the individual, cone style K&N Air filters, with no issues, and I always keep them clean.

This question may seem silly but.......does anybody out there know if this particular exhaust has an internal baffle, and if so, is it replaceable, and what part number would it be?

Yes, I've already researched it to death, and I'm coming up with nothing.

The part number for my exhaust is: 12009

What I'd really like to know is....is there is a replacement baffle, and would the "resistance" (under 60 mph) I'm feeling go away if I replaced my 17 year old baffle with a new one?

Any & all helpful replies are welcome, thanks gang....

That was just to hard https://www.z1enterprises.com/product/VH21260 .Just be aware they can be a POS to get out

The one off my 82 GPz750 was

Comment

I have one
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
        That was just to hard https://www.z1enterprises.com/product/VH21260 .Just be aware they can be a POS to get out

The one off my 82 GPz750 was

Wow.......

Now I feel like a complete idiot for ever even asking, but then again, you know what they say about: "no such thing as a stupid question"

Thanks for the reply, and that did look like it gave you a lot of trouble coming off.

So here's some new questions for you: once you replaced it with the new one (that's in the link you provided) did the engine breath better, did you notice any appreciable gains in power or speed, was it louder, more quiet, or did it have the same sound?

Thanks in advance.....

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          I have one
          A new baffle???

Like the one SVSooke posted in his link?

Comment

Originally posted by Neveragain55 View Post
            Wow.......

Now I feel like a complete idiot for ever even asking, but then again, you know what they say about: "no such thing as a stupid question"

Thanks for the reply, and that did look like it gave you a lot of trouble coming off.

So here's some new questions for you: once you replaced it with the new one (that's in the link you provided) did the engine breath better, did you notice any appreciable gains in power or speed, was it louder, more quiet, or did it have the same sound?

Thanks in advance.....
            Bought the GPz as a half torn down project bike(there's a link in my sig) so I have no idea what it was like.Never did get the rest of the core out,everything I tried just went into the baffle hole.The chrome didn't really go with the GPz look either IMO.Pretty much given up on the V&H,got a line on what may be a stocker for it.If the stock pipe isn't a go I'm thinking Delkevic http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?rou...rs&SKU=COM270R .Hard to beat a full SS system at that price even if I kinda wish they came in black.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              Bought the GPz as a half torn down project bike(there's a link in my sig) so I have no idea what it was like.Never did get the rest of the core out,everything I tried just went into the baffle hole.The chrome didn't really go with the GPz look either IMO.Pretty much given up on the V&H,got a line on what may be a stocker for it.If the stock pipe isn't a go I'm thinking Delkevic http://www.delkevic.us/index.php?rou...rs&SKU=COM270R .Hard to beat a full SS system at that price even if I kinda wish they came in black.
              I see,

Well I looked at the exhaust your thinking about getting, and it's really nice, and the price is great.

I also looked at your build thread, and it reminded me of when I rebuilt my old girl years ago. She was in better shape but I pretty much did the same thing your doing as in I tore her all the way down to the frame and built her completely back up.

I never had to touch the engine or go into it because she had all of her compression, and the previous owner didn't trash it.

Good luck with your project, and thanks for the replies.......

Comment

Working...
              X