Airbox Snorkle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox Snorkle

The bike is hard to start and once it starts it surges up to 6k goes down then surges up. If you close the choke it surges up to 3k and dies. I realize I never put the snorkel back on is this the problem? One of the edges is slightly torn should I order a new one? I couldn't find one on the bike bandit website or anywhere online.
    1981 GS 850G

sigpic

These bikes are very sensitive to the amount of air pulled through the engine. The Air box has to be complete with filter and sealed. No air leaks ( sucking in air from any place other than the hole in the Air box where air is ment to come in.) Air leaks will cause the sort of problems you are having.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Sounds more like it is sucking air through the manifold rubbers to behave like that (IE: lean). The snorkel behind the airbox should not have that dramatic an effect if it is removed.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Have a look at:

http://cycleorings.com/intake.html you can order the o-rings for a few dollars. I cannot speak highly enough of impact drivers. I put the philips tip right into the screw and whacked it 2 or 3 times till it was lightly embedded to the screw head, put on the impact handle, whack it once and watch if it turns, whack it again and if it starts to turn firmly but gently turn it out by hand.

Impact drivers are simply amazing. I put replacement screws in and put a bit of antiseize compound, so future me will have an easier time.

As far as the snorkel, in my case I carefully fitted it back in (one of the edges was cracked) and I had considered contact cement to glue it in but I think its OK for now.

Comment

^^ agree with them. Probably manifold o-rings.

Both of my snorkels were trashed so I have never used them and never had the sort of problem you are describing, all they are for is access to the "clean" air under the seat. Shrunken carb to air box boots on the other hand gave me some tuning fits until I fixed them. Still not what you're experiencing tho

Comment

The snorkel would have no effect at idle. It's not your problem.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I looked at it again and it looks i didn't push the new airbox boots in enough, that could be the problem. Will investigate. Thanks guys! I checked one of the O-rings and it didn't look flat, I suppose they are so cheap I could replace them anyway
              1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

If you haven't yet, you should. It a matter of course thing like new brake pads and an oil change and fork seals and tires and carb clean and battery and and and...

A lot of components, especially rubber ones, are only meant to last a few years. I read in a fsm ( don't remember which one or what it was for) that brake lines are due every 2 years, intake manifolds every 30k or 6 years, carb o-rings every 3 or 4 years and on and on.
                Nobody ever does it but there must be a good reason for the recommendation. Besides, ethanol is hell on rubber. It keeps me in a job. (Small engine tech, and part time motorcycle mechanic)
                Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X