Got a leak I need help with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a leak I need help with...

IMG_7052.jpg Excuse the side ways picture, I have a leak in this location. Gas specifically. I thought it was leaking out of carb #1, but i got a closer look and it is right at the airbox where the carb meets the seal, except right against the airbox. A little more info, I just replaced the handelbars, but used all the existing throttle/cables, etc. The Fuel switch is in the 'ON' position. I am wondering if it is the auto-cock. It is a slow drip, but accumulates quickly. Any ideas?

If it's gas then you probably have a stuck float and one of the carbs is overflowing along with a bad petcock if the lever is in the on position and leaking. Check your oil for gas smell and pull your air filter and see if it's soaked.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

In terms of still riding, it ok to take it to the streets if the diagnosis as you had mentioned is correct?

Comment

I wouldn't.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by jryanmc View Post
          In terms of still riding, it ok to take it to the streets if the diagnosis as you had mentioned is correct?
          Only if you want to ruin the engine by running it with the oil diluted by gas...

Comment

I just need to get it to a garage where I can get into the carbs and take a look. No way of towing. I will identify if the oil is diluted with gas tonight.

Comment

If it will run and only for a short trip, then make sure the oil is not flooded with gas, change if needed and disconnect the fuel line once you get it there.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by jryanmc View Post
                I just need to get it to a garage where I can get into the carbs and take a look. No way of towing. I will identify if the oil is diluted with gas tonight.
                When the petcock fails with VM carbs, gas "should" flow down the overflow tubes rather than into the engine. That said, it's best to check.....
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Picture looks like CV carbs.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                    Picture looks like CV carbs.
                    Probably but just in case.....
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

An ounce or two of gas in the oil won't hurt anything. It will evaporate out the next time the engine warms up. A gallon or two will hurt something. You decide.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X