Cutting Factory Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Factory Exhaust

So long term I want to go with a slash cut exhaust even if I get a shop to use the factory headers and mid point (near pegs) weld on a section that is slash cut. I know I will have to re-jet, which will need to anyways with pods. Just for looks has anyone cut the factory exhaust where it starts to cone out (widen)? I figure since this won't be road worthy for at least a few months and won't be driven to bother community, cut the existing exhaust to where I want new one to be and see how it looks plus I can at that time mount side lic plate lights etc..

Thanks

OK, I will evidently be the first to ask YOU some questions:
    1.WHAT BIKE????
    2. What shape is the exhaust in right now?

It is obvious that you are planning on hacking an exhaust system, and based on the profile pic, probably the bike, too.
    Hopefully your new system will not be wide-open straight pipes. If it is, you will find an overwhelming LACK of support from many on the site.

If your stock system is in pretty good shape, someone might want to buy it as-is. Depending on what bike you have, you might be able to buy a system with slash-cut "mufflers", which would spare a good stock set from the junk pile.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      OK, I will evidently be the first to ask YOU some questions:
      1.WHAT BIKE????
      2. What shape is the exhaust in right now?

It is obvious that you are planning on hacking an exhaust system, and based on the profile pic, probably the bike, too.
      Hopefully your new system will not be wide-open straight pipes. If it is, you will find an overwhelming LACK of support from many on the site.

If your stock system is in pretty good shape, someone might want to buy it as-is. Depending on what bike you have, you might be able to buy a system with slash-cut "mufflers", which would spare a good stock set from the junk pile.

Steve

Same bike as in picture 1982 GS 1100 GL. Exhaust is in good shape, no rust or dents etc.. don't think I am going with straight pipes as they are loud..
      Will look around and see if can find a slash cut set.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmanor View Post
        Same bike as in picture 1982 GS 1100 GL.
        I have my screen enlarged a bit to make it easier on my old eyes, but all I see is a couple blobs of blue, separated by some black. Yeah, there is something that could be construed as a final drive, but that could be a 450, 650, 750, 850, 1000 or 1100, then factor in whether it started as a G, GA or GL and it gets downright confuzzling.

Exhaust is in good shape, no rust or dents etc.. don't think I am going with straight pipes as they are loud..
        Thanks for your consideration of others.

Will look around and see if can find a slash cut set.
        I know that many here do not look favorably on them, but MAC has a set of turn-outs for the 1000. Might just be a need to fabricate a bracket for the rear mount, but the front should fit just fine.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I have my screen enlarged a bit to make it easier on my old eyes, but all I see is a couple blobs of blue, separated by some black. Yeah, there is something that could be construed as a final drive, but that could be a 450, 650, 750, 850, 1000 or 1100, then factor in whether it started as a G, GA or GL and it gets downright confuzzling.

Thanks for your consideration of others.

I know that many here do not look favorably on them, but MAC has a set of turn-outs for the 1000. Might just be a need to fabricate a bracket for the rear mount, but the front should fit just fine.

Yeah I don't want to be that person with an annoying exhaust, not cool.

Would something like this work?

Thanks

Comment

I have the regular EMGO shorty mufflers on my GS450 (I'm pretty sure they are the same ones that DCC sells) and they are not obnoxiously loud. The insulation that comes in them is garbage and burned up after 100 miles. It wasn't too loud even with no insulation but its even better with a fresh packing. Could be different with the GS1100, though.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I'm interested in the stock exhaust.
              Alan

sigpic
              Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
              Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
              Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Are they just slip on? Can you post up pic?

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                  I'm interested in the stock exhaust.

Just the part after headers, correct? (cone out part)

Not whole thing.

Comment

Just the part after headers, correct? (cone out part)

Not whole thing.
                    I'm interested in the whole thing.
                    Are you going to paint the headers? If so I have a set of pipes that are only good for cutting up or painting.
                    Alan

sigpic
                    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                      I'm interested in the whole thing.
                      Are you going to paint the headers? If so I have a set of pipes that are only good for cutting up or painting.

Would need headers as the Emgo or Dime City Cycles exhaust attach to headers/mid pipe, far as I can tell.

Comment

Would need headers as the Emgo or Dime City Cycles exhaust attach to headers/mid pipe, far as I can tell.
                        This is what I have. They are solid but rusty. Perfect painters or cutters. They are off of an '83 1100L. I also have the '82's which are the ones I'm replacing. They're in much better shape. A little rust but none in the glamour areas. A po decided to drill the holes in the plate out to make it louder.
                        Attached Files
                        Alan

sigpic
                        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I ended up buying these

Not straight pipe and can add some more packing to tone it down some. Ended up paying $55.00 inc shipping and got here in 3 days. Going to have exhaust cut and then welded on.

Comment

If you're staying chrome that would look good, I thought you were maybe going black.
                            Alan

sigpic
                            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I saw a bike the other day with the pipes cut. They looked to be the stock diameter, but the sound level was quite acceptable. I couldn't identify the bike, but it was an air cooled Japanese twin. He must have found some good internal pipe baffles.
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X