Install OEM exhaust tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install OEM exhaust tips

Hope I am not making some site old timer mad if this info has already been posted but...

To install an OEM exhaust, the Clymers manual says put it back on in the reverse order
    you took it off. NOT.

Here is what I did after finally figuring the thing out: NOTE! Always use new crush
    gaskets and make sure you get the old ones out prior to install as they are hard to
    see as they are crushed. I use a flat blade screwdriver to pry them out. Doesn't
    matter if you bend them up as they will get tossed.

1. Put #1 and #4 pipes on and put the muffler mount bolt in and tightened them down.
    Take care not to have the clamp for when you install #2 head pipe rotated up as it
    hits the kickstand bracket and you can't push the whole thing back far enough to
    get the muffler mounting bolt in place. Also, keep track of the spacers used between
    the bolt and frame and re-use them. Don;'t forget the kickstand goes through the
    Y on the system on the left hand part and uses the pipe as a bumper stop when
    it is retracted.

2. Put 2 and 3 head pipes together and put the clamp in the middle and it is OK to
    tighten at this point. Put the clamps on at this point with the nut heads facing out.
    These are put on the collectors and not there is a flange used to locate them properly.
    Put the 2 & 3 head pipes behind the front wheel, left them and insert them into the Y
    collectors. My pipes had fiber insulating inserts which tend to get bent over and
    hinder easy insertion. Make sure those things are smoothed out and it makes the
    task a lot more asy.

3. I taped the two half moon things using masking tape to hold them in place while
    I inserted 2 & 3 head pipes. Shove the thing ends with the half moons with the
    flanges facing forward into the exhaust holes and bring the exhaust flanges up
    with the smooth part facing the frame for clearance. Bolt them down.

4. I had taken my heat shields off. Take care to not bust those little screws.
    You might soak them with penetrating oil for a bit. They are M5 screws and
    the two towards the rear are short; about 6mm long and the one that holds
    the two clamp halves in front is 16mm long. The heat shields can be installed
    while the system is on the bike.

The process is a bit of a pain and it took some doing to figure out the easiest
    way to install the exhaust system on my 1980 GS1000G. Longer than it should
    have anyway so I hope this helps someone. I did a search and didn't see
    anything like this write up. If you have something that will simplify what
    I have written, please let us know! BTW, it is virtually impossible to
    assemble the whole system and put it is place and install; maybe if you have
    a couple people it could be done.
Working...
X