83 1100 runs great, but looking for a bit more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100 runs great, but looking for a bit more

My bike had been badly abused when I found it. Physical appearance was ok, but it had a scored cylinder, messed up crank, and trans problems.
    We fixed all that and went with the Wiseco 1134's, V&H Street exhaust, rebuilt trans with undercut gears. Stock carbs rebuilt, stock ignition. We repaired decades worth of someone else's bad wiring fixes. It got a valve job and all was shimmed within spec.
    I can do some things, but my friend Dan built the motor as he does it every day for a living. It ran WAY rich upon completion, he kept reducing the jet sizes until he was happy. He suggested the Street exhaust is perhaps far too restrictive? The stock carbs had pod filters when I bought it and still do.

The bike runs great all around - starts right up, revs through every gear. I have a bunch of bikes and this is probably the most reliable one right now. Both Dan, myself, and my former dirtbike racing brother in law were all expecting more power from the bike.
    Is there a magic combination or formula to follow that we missed? Was I supposed to upgrade the carbs when doing the 1134's? Is that exhaust too restrictive and if so what should I be using? I'm open to all suggestions including cam upgrades, but I'm not going to the next bore size.
    And if you say there's no more magic involved and that's all we're going to get with proper jetting then that's ok too - I just don't want it to be short of it's potential because of something i've missed.
    We're not going to be drag racing it. It's a street bike for old men who still behave badly on occasion.
    thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2016, 04:23 PM.

The Pods have a dramatic effect on the jetting requirements. If you have stock exhaust you should probably be at around Mikuni 125-130 for the main. Did you get a jet kit(probably don't need it unless you change the pipe)? You also need to make sure you have good power to the coils. I would get some accell coils considering what money you have already spent.

Comment

Which 1100? E, G or L? If the carbs wre just rebuilt and left with stock jetting, it will definitely need to be jetted to match the V&H exhaust. Its odd though, because stock carburetion + 4 into 2 exhaust = a lean condition. Were the carbs fully stripped, soaked and did they get the o rings replaced? How are the intake boots? A bad fuel petcock call leak fuel into cylinder 2 also.

Good luck, and welcome from a fellow NJ rider.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Saying that it was "shimmed within spec" suggests that it's a shaft drive, two-valve model, either a G, GL, or GK. An "E" doesn't use shims. What model do you have?

Comment

Sorry Johnny.
          It's an E model, chain driven.
          The carbs were gone through completely. All boots are new. It's the V&H street exhaust, and was rejetted by my friend who built the engine until it ran right .
          I'll go ahead and get a set of dyna coils . I may actually have the correct ones as I use them on all my gpz Turbos.

Comment

OK so how was it jetted? Apparently not well unless the cams are not properly timed.

Comment

Originally posted by tbs777 View Post
              The bike runs great all around - starts right up, revs through every gear. I have a bunch of bikes and this is probably the most reliable one right now. Both Dan, myself, and my former dirtbike racing brother in law were all expecting more power from the bike.
              1) Runs great and revs through all the gears sounds like you have it pretty close to me.

2) What is your basis for comparison for expecting more power? Tuned as you have it you have maybe 105-110rwhp, at best. It really isn't any stronger than a 5 year old 600 at this point in time and it weighs somewhere well on the high side of 500lb., so it isn't going to blow your hair back if you also ride modern sportbikes.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                1) Runs great and revs through all the gears sounds like you have it pretty close to me.

Mark
                Thanks mark I think you're right. I put another ~80 miles on it yesterday. It is a pleasant ride. Instead of the "ka-chunk" I get when shifting my kzs it makes a nice smooth click. The trans shop did a really nice job.So what's the next step in power ? I don't want a $4k turbo kit . Do you go +1mm exhaust valves and cams and do you have a favorite source for cams?

Comment

IMG_20160703_185523733.jpg

seat done at local upholstery shop, ceramic coated header.

Comment

A fine looking ride!

Did you have the header coated locally?
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Get it on dynamometer...
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

thank you!
                        I've been browsing the 1150's lately and man they sure are cool!
                        I sent the header to Jetthott. I always ceramic coat the exhaust side of the Hitachi turbocharger for the GPz's to keep them looking nice. I've probably sent 8 things to them over the last ten years and have gotten good service so far.

Comment

i have an old dynojet 150 that's a work in progress. I've made basic runs on it with my R6 trackbike (107hp @ 14k rpm) , but need a few more upgrades to take o2 readings or do tuning. When I get ready to make more changes to the Suzuki I'll get before/after readings just for reference.
                          There's a REAL dyno guy an hour north of here. I retrofitted a power commander to my 84 gpzTurbo and it needs a tune now. I'll get the GS checked at the same time.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2016, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tbs777 View Post
                            Thanks mark I think you're right. I put another ~80 miles on it yesterday. It is a pleasant ride. Instead of the "ka-chunk" I get when shifting my kzs it makes a nice smooth click. The trans shop did a really nice job.So what's the next step in power ? I don't want a $4k turbo kit . Do you go +1mm exhaust valves and cams and do you have a favorite source for cams?
                            I can't say I have a favorite cam supplier, but here is a thread by posplayr on his 83 1100E that details the engine mods he did and chassis work: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0ED&highlight=

Mark
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1998 ZX-6R
                            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                            X