Looking at 81 GS750E needs airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at 81 GS750E needs airbox

I'm looking at a 81 GS750E that is mostly complete and certainly inexpensive but missing both the front Airbox, boots and rear air cleaner box. I'm not finding any on eBay but I am seeing a couple from 82 model. They certainly look similar but you know how that goes.

The Kawi is gone and he wants $400 for the GS. Any thoughts? Looks like Mikuni BS34? carbs so pods are out of the question. He texted me some photos of the carbs and they are CV mikuni.

Also missing the side covers.

What, you want to skip pod fun? Seller seems desperate, so offer $300. Pick up the 82 airbox from that Colorado ebay seller- I'd guess it would fit.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The filter box does cross reference as the same part for 81 & 82

Comment

Put pods and a Dynojet kit in it.
        Not all smoke and mirrors.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          What, you want to skip pod fun? Seller seems desperate, so offer $300. Pick up the 82 airbox from that Colorado ebay seller- I'd guess it would fit.
          Actually I was thinking of $250 offer and see what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
            Looks like Mikuni BS34? carbs so pods are out of the question. He texted me some photos of the carbs and they are CV mikuni.
            BS34's work fine with pods if you jet them correctly. My 1100E and many others here are proof of it.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Put pods and a Dynojet kit in it.
            Not all smoke and mirrors.
            +1. No mystery, just careful , methodical tuning required.

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
            Actually I was thinking of $250 offer and see what he does.
            That sounds like a good start. If it isn't running then he is stuck with a parts bike and that isn't worth much.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

And this guy is putting a GSXR engine into a 750E:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

He'll have no need for GS airbox anymore - might be worth a PM to see what he's doing with his??
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Just like putting a gsxr motor in a 550.

Comment

I actually started to think that a Dyno jet kit and pods would be a viable solution. Then I looked up the price. $70 for pods and $113 for the Dynojet? I think I'll try to source a stock air box. Sorry guys I'm looking for ride ability not performance and on a budget.

I have not heard back on my $250 offer but he may be at work today and can't respond. He has had it for sale for 2 weeks so... Depends on whether he needs the money or not. I'm hoping he takes the offer or at least counters with $300.

Comment

Well he took $250 and I'm on my way home with it on the trailer. If my son doesn't kill us with his driving. Post pics when we get it home.

Comment

It's pretty rough shape but I can work with what I have. First glanced I need new tires, battery, chain, carbs cleaned, air box (both), front brakes, fluids.. Just what you would expect for a garage/barn find.

Comment

Is that a mural on the tank or just rust?

I've started with worse - you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it running by the looks of things.
                        Current:
                        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

It's a decal of a dragon. Inside of the tank is very minor rust. Hooked up a battery and at least the engine spins free. He had the plug wires on the wrong spark plugs so it would have never started like it was. The oil level sight glass is useless so before I try to even run compression check I'll drain oil, if any, and refill. According to the last inspection sticker it was 2003 since last on the road. So I have to be careful not to damage anything internal.

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                            Is that a mural on the tank or just rust?

I've started with worse - you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it running by the looks of things.
                            Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll get more in depth checking tomorrow. Supposed to rain so what else have I got to do?

Comment

Ok this is a first for me. I decided first thing was to drain the oil. Well I guess there's some oil in there but mostly pulled out about 2 gallon of water. I've seen water in the oil before, but never this much!

Heading down to the auto parts store for oil and a filter. Thinking I'll put about 3 qts of diesel fuel (kerosene) in the sump and spin the engine for a while to help flush out any remaining water. Then see if I need to do that again before putting new oil and filter in. Should have seen me laughing when I pulled the drain plug!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X