1980 gs850 won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850 won't start

Hello and thank you all for the help you have given me already. I have cleans my carbs and put the jets all back rather snug. Now my bike won't take any fuel it seems. I have played with the adjustable screws where the air filters goes and the screws on top. But still nothing on its own. When I spray starter fluid it is very happy and then nothing. Any ideas?

OK, I'll play along. What "adjustable screws where the air filters goes" are you talking about? You are making it sound like you have pod filters instead of the stock airbox, which would have ONE filter. For the record, there are no adjustable screws near the intakes of the carbs. The jets that are there should be installed snuggly and left alone.

As for the ONLY externally-adjustable items on the carbs, where do you have them set?

How did you "cleans" the carbs? Did you do a full "strip-and-dip" cleaning with carb dip?

Did all the internal passages get cleaned out?

Where did you set the float levels?

Have you adjusted the valves? No, they are not carb-related, but tight valves do cause hard starting.

Do yourself and your bike a favor, THROW THE STARTING FLUID AWAY.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Turn the fuel tap to PRI and try again.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Make sure that your fuel line is not connected to a vent T. Check for fuel by loosening a drain plug on the float bowl.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

You are much more likely to get help with a problem if you are a bit more specific. You adjusted two things on the carburetors after cleaning? Was the bike running before the cleaning? Some info of that sort would be helpful otherwise folks will tell you to measure compression, check valve clearances, check voltage and spark, etc. Why all these different ideas tossed out? Because your question was like someone asking, "how do I get there" without saying where there is... What makes you think the carburetors are not getting gas? What position did you have your petcock in? Did you check your float bowls for gas? Get a bit more specific and provide some detail and help will get more focused.

Comment

Working...
          X