Bad bogging after half throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad bogging after half throttle

I have a '77 GS750 running pods, straight pipes, jetted to 117.5 and air screws out just over 1.5 turns. Was running ok this morning but now it's bogging down really bad after about half throttle. Feels like it has about a third of its power. Figure it's a fuel mixture issue. I'm at about 1100 ft above sea level. Any ideas on what I need to adjust? Smaller mains, more air, less air, etc. Appreciate the help.

If you pull the choke while bogging what happens?

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
      If you pull the choke while bogging what happens?

Mark
      If I pull the choke it seems to make it worse and start to sputter

Comment

Originally posted by R3lease1t View Post
        If I pull the choke it seems to make it worse and start to sputter
        Then you are rich. Does it clear out if you keep opening the throttle or stay the same no matter what? Does it pull through the bog in the lower gears but not the higher gears? If you are at 1/2 throttle (to really know put a piece of tape on the throttle housing and mark the throttle opening in 1/8 increments, then go test riding) then you are getting well onto the main jet and you will have to come down on its size.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
          Then you are rich. Does it clear out if you keep opening the throttle or stay the same no matter what? Does it pull through the bog in the lower gears but not the higher gears? If you are at 1/2 throttle (to really know put a piece of tape on the throttle housing and mark the throttle opening in 1/8 increments, then go test riding) then you are getting well onto the main jet and you will have to come down on its size.

Mark
          It pulls through but I don't have any power. I accelerate like I'm driving a 10 speed truck, not a 750 motorcycle. I might see if I can drop my mains. I talked to a mechanic who suggested I look into needle and air screw adjustment as well

Comment

Might be a stupid suggestion, but I had that problem due to the fuel filter once.
            Whenever I read a classified ad that states the bike bogs at highway speed I usually think it probably needs a new filter.

Comment

If it ran well before, it's probably not a fuel mixture issue, the mixture doesn't change overnight and become too rich
              Maybe it's running on 3?
              117.5 shouldn't be too rich

What do your spark plugs look like?
              Where are your fuel screws set?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Do you have a rusty tank?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X