petcock install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock install

Getting my painted body parts back tomorrow after last coat of clear is shot today. I have a new gasket (oring I guess) for the petcock but have noticed that both my previously GS bikes had liquid gasket used as well as the OEM gasket to seal this area. Is liquid gasket recommended by folks who have done this previously?

Skip the liquid gasket goop- get two 1/4 inch sealing washers to put under mounting bolts. They have rubber bonded to metal washer- probably 40 cents each at decent hardware store.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It wouldn't hurt but you probably won't need it. I've replaced 2 petcocks with Pingle models. They recommend using a very light amount of a silicone sealant; in fact, they used to include it with the petcocks but no longer do. I used an incredibly small amount both times and had no leaks. Was it necessary? I have no idea but if I did it again, I'd do it the same way.

Using new Dowty sealing washers that Tom has mentioned are a very good idea on the OEM application. (On Pingles, they aren't used because the mounting plate is different.)
      Last edited by rockford; 07-13-2016, 12:46 PM.
      1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

I install pingel adapter plates on almost all bike rebuilds and use a manual shut off petcock and am very familiar with that process... just wondering about the OEM petcock. The one I took off seemed to work just fine so I will reuse it. Will check on the sealing washers... there were none when I took it off as I recall. I think if these were needed, some fuel resistant RTV on the bolt thread would work as well.

Comment

"Fuel resistant" or not, you use RTV on your bike, you deserve what you get.

Splurge, get the washers that are supplied by Suzuki, if you can't find them locally.
          They are a couple of bucks from Suzuki, but will last another 20-30 years, like the originals.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used these sealing washers from HD on my K&L petcock install: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-...6738/204276438
            Not bad for less than $1. So far so good.
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I put them on dry, never had a leak unless the rubber is shot. Any of those sealing washers will work fine.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I just went down to the local Suzuki store and bought a new gasket and those 2 sealing washers. It was $11 for all. I wish I'd seen this earlier about HD sealing gaskets. I paid $1.55 each from Suzuki. Don't leave them out. They will leak around the bolts without them.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  I put them on dry, never had a leak unless the rubber is shot. Any of those sealing washers will work fine.
                  I don't even question it. When I need to pull the petcock I put on a new gasket and sealing washers. Life is too short to live with a fuel leak.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
                    ......some fuel resistant RTV on the bolt thread would work as well.
                    NO - it will not.

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                      NO - it will not.
                      Hylomar works. My petcocks are secured by 6mm bolts and plain washers with a smear of Hylomar on both faces of the washers, and some up the threads. Let set for a couple of hours or overnight before filling it - actually, that might not be necessary, it's just something I did.
                      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                        NO - it will not.
                        Mr. 850GT, Just curious, have you tried fuel resistant RTV and found it to not work? Do you have first hand experience with this? Just curious... thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          Hylomar works. My petcocks are secured by 6mm bolts and plain washers with a smear of Hylomar on both faces of the washers, and some up the threads. Let set for a couple of hours or overnight before filling it - actually, that might not be necessary, it's just something I did.
                          What is this and where can you get it?
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Hylomar is available in an autoparts store. It is a high end gasket sealant.

For those that have suggested the special washers, I live about 30 miles (and about 50 miles from a Suzuki dealer) from most anything except a True Value which is 7 miles away. I checked with them yesterday and they don't sell the Dowty washers. I ordered some NOS parts from an eBay seller but will try the Hylomar as I do have that on hand. I will stick the OEM washers on when they arrive.

I often wonder how many folks who are trying to help and respond to these questions have actual first hand knowledge when they offer advice or perhaps they are repeating something someone else said. I have found some of the folks here actually are very helpful and the art of taking advice is figuring out who these individuals are. I thank all who replied.

Comment

I have use rtv in the past in an emergency. It never let go till I made repairs to the petcock years later.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X