pilot jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pilot jet

#1 carb pilot jet stuck..dspo stripped the head...bought my bike ('82 650) a couple weeks ago..started hard..had to rev @3000 (to keep it running) for 5 minutes or so..then would idle about 1000rpm and would run out smooth..I decided to buy the bike..price was right and all else very nice..low miles..thought I could just clean carbs because it had been sitting for God knows how long..when I did rudimentary clean up discovered #1 pilot head stripped and decided to just squirt carb cleaner in it..all others no issues...clean up was no help and would only start with starting fluid..then would run away and I immediately shut down..I am in the process of off rail cleaning (got the o-rings from Bob Barr)..original o-rings show no signs of damage, but thought I should replace anyway ..#1) what is function of pilot jet?..#2) can I get away with leaving the jet alone as this is an issue with only one carb?..#3) if it is absolutely necessary to pull the jet (which may or may not have an issue) how can I get that jet out? ..I'm afraid I may destroy the carb if I drill it out....FINALLY ..any ideas what I should be looking for that causes my initial hard starting issue..thanks for any advice..

Let's make sure here.... When you say "pilot jet", are you refering to the small jet that sits in fuel bowl next to the main jet? The pilot jet is covered by a rubber plug as in attached pic
    Attached Files
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Let me know if you end up needing a replacement body. I believe I have a #1 GS650 carb body cleaned and ready to use laying around. I may also have a 42.5 pilot jet to go with it.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
        Let me know if you end up needing a replacement body. I believe I have a #1 GS650 carb body cleaned and ready to use laying around. I may also have a 42.5 pilot jet to go with it.
        Any chance you have a good #3 650 carb?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tom..yep..jet under the plug..the little pup that's impossible to reach

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Any chance you have a good #3 650 carb?
            Pretty sure I do but I'll need to check. I picked up an entire rack of 650 carbs off of ebay a few months ago and haven't parted with any of the parts yet.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Tapped jeweler screwdriver into jet..applied a little heat..gingerly twisted out..NOW all I need is a 42.5 pilot jet..anyone know a good source?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleFugly View Post
                Tapped jeweler screwdriver into jet..applied a little heat..gingerly twisted out..NOW all I need is a 42.5 pilot jet..anyone know a good source?
                I think that's the same size as the stock pilot jets on the BS32 carbs for my 850. In that case, I'll have some. Will check in the next day or so.

As to the carb body itself for the 650, someone else here might be able to say whether or not it's also the same as the 850? In that case, I'll have one of those too.
                Anyone? Bueller?

Comment

Working...
                X