Noob advice for GS850G aftermarket exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob advice for GS850G aftermarket exhaust

Hello riders, I'm a beginner at motorcycle maintenance so I'm looking for an "explain like I'm 5" kind of answer here.
    I'm interested in upgrading my '81 GS850G (completely stock) with a 4-1 V & H aftermarket exhaust. I understand that you can't just slap on a whole new exhaust system and expect everything to work properly.

My question is,
    What other things are needed in addition to the exhaust system, and why?

Here is the exhaust I'm looking at:

At the very least, check the jetting in the carbs. Some exhaust manufacturers claim that no jetting is necessary, but the bikes were running borderline lean to start with, and with today's oxygenated fuels, there is less actual gasoline in the mix, which makes the mixture leaner again. Add in just a bit more air flow, you might need to do some jetting.

How much? It depends entirely on the pipe, and whatever you do to the intake system.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

$500 for a V&H system is WAY too much. Shop around to find a better deal.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You most likely won't have to rejet and if you do need to rejet, it will be very minor changes. You have essentially three options:

1. V&H - Decent quality and the most expensive. If you shop around, you MIGHT be able to get a system for less than $500
        2. Delkevik - Stainless system and inexpensive (~ $350) 4 into 1
        3. MAC - Quality so-so at best (my opinion) - they have a 4 into 2 with turn out mufflers for a bit over $400 and a couple
        4 into 1 systems; one chrome and the other black. The black system can be had for under $300

Comment

I have the Delkevic on mine. I think I paid around $300 for it. It actually recommends that you leave stock jetting, and if you've changed it, to change it back. Like geol mentioned, they are stainless. My only complaint so far is that the rubber covered spring hooks they give you will melt against the pipe. I'm constantly smelling burnt rubber.

Last edited by Deuce; 07-20-2016, 09:20 AM.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
          Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Nah... those rubber hooks things are not burning... probably the tires on that really sweet racy bike of yours burn just from being on the bike. hehe I really wish that Delkevik made a 4 into 2 as I can't bring myself to put a 4 into 1 on a G model and the MAC 4 into 2 with turn outs is... well not to my taste. I sent them a note asking if their other mufflers could be swapped for the turn out mufflers and was not responded to.

Comment

How does it sound? I'm looking for something like this that won't kill my wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
                ... I really wish that Delkevik made a 4 into 2 as I can't bring myself to put a 4 into 1 on a G model ...
                Don't worry about that little detail. I realize that I probably go against the tastes of most of the rest of GSR with my bike. While everybody else is stripping things off to make it lighter, go faster, handle better, etc., I add things, usually for comfort and/or convenience. I have a 4-into-1 on my 850G. Not only is it a G, I have pretty much turned it into a GK (and then some). Since the muffler is rather quiet on this pipe, it does not scream "performance bike", so it fits right in.

You can click on the link in my sig to see pretty much what it looks like.
                There has been a tailpipe extension added to keep the exhaust off the saddlebag.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by SkyLurk View Post
                  How does it sound? I'm looking for something like this that won't kill my wallet.
                  If you're talking to me, I think it sounds pretty good. It has two removable baffles, so you can have 3 different sounds. I just removed the inner one.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                  Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Working...
                  X