Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After market exhaust

Hello everyone,
    I have a 1980 gs 550 ,need new exhaust my question is there any aftermarket products out there that dosent require rejetting ? Im getting some conflicting info just thought id ask the experts

I put a MAC 4-1 system on my GS550 and did not do any jetting, I think I shimmed the needles.
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-23-2016, 08:55 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thanks for the info,what is shimming the needles ?

Comment

Marving is showing some options for your bike. They're Italian but have a US distributor. I would think someting marketed for a specific model/year shouldn't require changes to the carb, but that is an assumption

You might be able to find a stock exhaust in good shape, too, if you look around and post an ad in the Classifieds.

Comment

Originally posted by Denman2112 View Post
          Thanks for the info,what is shimming the needles ?
          That is to put tiny washers on the jet needles to lift them a tiny amount, so while accelerating the carb pistons reach the narrow part of the needle sooner and run richer. Easier to do than changing to a larger jet size, and not quite as rich.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thank You !!!!!!

Comment

Of course, you need to keep in mind that all bikes are just a little bit different, so what works for one bike might not work for another.

The only way to determine what YOUR bike needs is to do the modifications you want, then do some testing and see what YOUR spark plugs are telling you about what is happening inside YOUR engine. Adjust from there.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you for the information

Comment

Working...
                X