Fuel starvation or ignition? Surging but not dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel starvation or ignition? Surging but not dying

82-GS1100G, all stock intake and exhaust.
    Bummer, after 8 years/15,000 miles of perfect tune it's got a problem.
    After riding a half hour it started to act like a fuel starvation surge and stumble.
    Moving petcock to prime, does not change it.
    Idles just fine, no stalling.
    Opened up the carbs and I cant find a trace of deposit or buildup in the main jet system.
    The riding time before it starts to happen is getting shorter, today I only rode a couple miles before it started again.
    Is this an ignition problem?
    Maybe sourced to the wiring harness and connectors in the headlight? I did handle those during my fairing project.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-23-2016, 08:27 PM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

If the vent hole in the gas cap is plugged, it would act as you described. Easy to check, and free, just saying, Tom

Comment

Venting perhaps... could also be the voltage wire to the coils has an iffy connectiono somewhere on its path.

Comment

Right geol; “could also be the voltage wire to the coils has an iffy connectiono somewhere on its path.”
        I'll check the wiring path.
        I'm thinking it needs an ignition tune up.
        Reminds me of an old car I had, Corvair Van with the same symptoms. Needed new points and condensers, spark plugs and timing, ran great after that.
        No points or condensers in my bike, that leaves spark plugs, wires and the ignition module.
        Spark plugs are due for replacement.
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-23-2016, 08:30 PM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

You should check the fuel venting first as it's the easiest to do - when the problem starts, simply pop the fuel cap and see if it disappears.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
            You should check the fuel venting first as it's the easiest to do - when the problem starts, simply pop the fuel cap and see if it disappears.
            Seems the most unlikely thing, but I will check that too.

Comment

Stator gone bad?

Ok, I'm mostly done with a total carb overhaul, dipped and reassembled, but am waiting for a set of O rings from Bob Barr.

Realized yesterday the stator is not working. I just replaced the cover gasket, but I don't see how I could have broken a wire doing that. I installed that Rick's Motorsport stator 9690 miles ago, but it looked fried when I changed the gasket. I should have done a voltage test before I used that gasket.
              Explains the power fade if the bike is running on battery only.

Comment

I'm glad you found your gremlin!

Comment

Well 0.00 ohm reading between the leads, that's definite.
                  The bikes been running good for so long, I forgot how to recognize stator issues, or testing.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-29-2016, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Well WTF???
                    I bought a new Electrosport stator and tested the resistance between the leads before I installed it and got 0.00 ohms.
                    I figured it must be dead and returned it.
                    Then I contacted their “Ask an expert” email and got this response:

Hello,

0 ohms is not the same as no connection. The resistance should be as low as possible, typically about 0.4 ohms. I cannot explain how your meter would measure 0.00 ohms on a good or a bad stator, that seems like a testing error.

Kyle Wood - Sales Manager
                    -------------------------------------
                    Procom Engineering / ElectroSport

21 Brookline, Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
                    PH: (949) 305-4200
                    www.electrosport.com

Comment

Have not yet found the problem!!!

Bike runs fine and normal until I do a couple hard accelerations up to 7000RPM, then it goes bad, and won't rev past 3500, and surges; bad-good-bad.
                      Returns to good after overnight cool down.
                      Wow, seems I'm going through the all engine systems, updating all maintenance looking for this issue and still have not fixed it.

Carbs cleaned with O rings replaced,
                      Airbox detailed,
                      Stator and R/R replaced (tested bad),
                      Timing sensor and igniter tested good.
                      Plugs replaced,
                      Caps and wires detailed, (spark looks very good)
                      All wire contentions checked or updated.

Next check will be tappet clearance and timing chain.
                      Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-15-2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Maybe do some testing...
                        Does the problem happen on "Prime" (maybe a vacuum diaphragm/valve problem)? Does it make any difference if its on "Reserve" or "On" (maybe dirt in the filter up in the tank). Have you unhooked the fuel line and just let it run into a can to see if the flow slows down (another sign of dirt in the filter- or a plugged vent)?
                        Im just offering up some no cost checks...
                        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                          Maybe do some testing...
                          Does the problem happen on "Prime" (maybe a vacuum diaphragm/valve problem)? Does it make any difference if its on "Reserve" or "On" (maybe dirt in the filter up in the tank). Have you unhooked the fuel line and just let it run into a can to see if the flow slows down (another sign of dirt in the filter- or a plugged vent)?
                          Im just offering up some no cost checks...
                          Thanks, but those were the first tests I did.

Comment

I'd suspect the ignitor is failing when it gets toasty- hard to check unless you carry spare spark plug (and wrench, glove). Next time it happens , use your spare spark plug in plug wire to #1 to check spark: then switch to check either #2 or #3 circuit for spark- you might find that one half of ignitor is unhappy.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                              I'd suspect the ignitor is failing when it gets toasty- hard to check unless you carry spare spark plug (and wrench, glove). Next time it happens , use your spare spark plug in plug wire to #1 to check spark: then switch to check either #2 or #3 circuit for spark- you might find that one half of ignitor is unhappy.
                              Thanks, I just did that test today after the symptom appeared, ample spark on both 1-4 and 2-3.
                              I was suspecting that too, and discovered some spark leak from the resister cap and wire connections, and fixed it. Did not have any affect on the symptom.

Comment

Working...
                              X