1985 GS550L Choke Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS550L Choke Question

I just purchased a 1985 GS550L to fix up. Did the carb etc and got it all up and running. What is puzzling me is the choke setup on the bike. the only parts I have for the choke are the choke plungers on the carbs. there is nothing attached to them, no cable, no spot as far as I can tell on the bar controls for a choke lever or for a pull type choke to mount. I've looked all over the web and cannot for the life of me find what parts I need for the choke. Seems like there would be a choke rail that connects both plungers and is pulled by a choke cable but I can't see any choke parts other than the plungers listed on any diagram anywhere. On top of that I cannot even find a choke cable listed for this bike, which makes me wonder if it's lever actuated or some sort of electric choke setup or something else? I'm beating my head against the wall because I can only find 2 pics close up enough to see the carbs well and it looks like there is a cable with a boot over the plunger but can't seem to find these parts new or used to save my life. I'm half tempted to fabricate something to operate the plungers but would prefer to have the OEM setup if I could just find the parts. Does anyone know what I should be looking for here? Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

20160723_110102~01.jpg

If you look at the Handlebar fiche, take note of item #15, called "Starter Cable". It splits near the bottom to enable pulling on both plungers, but I don't see the brackets that they would mount to so they can actually do their job.

Sorry, but I have not worked on a set of the twin carbs, so can't offer any suggestions based on experience.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, it's a twin pull cable- strange that it's not clear what it attaches to . Apparently obsolete now.

this ebay seller has a similar carb set- you might get clues if you can see past the grime!

Last edited by tom203; 07-23-2016, 04:46 PM. Reason: Info
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X