Carb leak (or fluid on carbs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb leak (or fluid on carbs)

I've got fluid accumulating on the carbs. I tried cleaning it up and periodically stopping to see where it originates, but that's been unsuccessful; I don't see anything dripping when the bike is parked and I've got to ride maybe 100 miles or more before I notice much. I can't tell where its coming from. Petcock is new and doesn't appear to be leaking and I don't see it coming from the choke rod, but I could be missing it. Maybe it's coming from the float bowl gasket and dripping/splashing? Or is it something else? Carbs have been rebuilt a few hundred miles ago, but still have original diaphragms.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

A couple of those pictures look like it's the float bowl gasket, some of the others look like maybe the throttle shaft seal.

Diaphragms would not make anything leak like that, they never see any gas.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. That seems like it can wait 'til winter...

Comment

Those are minor leaks. More like seepage. The debris in the middle may even be some oil residue collecting dirt. I'd wait till winter and do a complete rebuild of the carbs. Check your timing chain tensioner and make sure the oil isn't coming from there.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I would consider investing in some new carb holders/orings. They look like the originals and since made of rubber, are not expected to last forever. As far as the very minor gas leak, gas accumulates in the # 1 & 2 carb bowls when the bike is on sidestand. I would invest in new bowl gaskets and it looks like a fuel rail may be seeping which means the assembly has to come apart if it bothers you. Note you don't get any drip on the #4 side because this stuff likely happens when the bike is on sidestand as I noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
            ][IMG][/IMG]
            In this photo it looks like there is a breather pipe missing from that plastic fitting just to the left of the yellow circle (unless it is the fuel supply T-piece?). Usually the breather pipes go up and over the airbox, extending some way down behind the airbox.
            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

I think the bowl retaining screw should be more fully engaged with the carb body casting, even sticking up a bit.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                I think the bowl retaining screw should be more fully engaged with the carb body casting, even sticking up a bit.
                Which is the bowl retaining screw?

Comment

The four screws that hold the bowls on are M5x16. Yours are M5x12 or 14 asd not quite as long as the originals but they are not the reason for the small leakage. They catch enough thread to be tightened securely.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                    In this photo it looks like there is a breather pipe missing from that plastic fitting just to the left of the yellow circle (unless it is the fuel supply T-piece?). Usually the breather pipes go up and over the airbox, extending some way down behind the airbox.
                    Good catch! Thank you. I've been confused about vent, vacuum, and breather hoses. Looking again at BikeCliff's site, I now realize I don't have vent hoses hooked up. That seems a likely culprit for the fuel on carb #2.

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
                      The four screws that hold the bowls on are M5x16. Yours are M5x12 or 14 asd not quite as long as the originals but they are not the reason for the small leakage. They catch enough thread to be tightened securely.
                      Thanks - I see it now. I'll check that #1 is tight enough. The carbs were fully rebuilt and got some new hardware. I believe the gaskets are all new but the bolts could have loosened up a little.

The bike has a really gassy smell and I think is 'using' a little extra fuel. My reason for posting this was just to make sure there weren't signs of the carbs not shutting off or something, but it sounds like were mostly just seeing seepage (or missed breather hoses). This bike still has a lot of other maintenance needs, and being my only bike I don't want to start pulling apart carbs unless its really necessary. I will take care of the breather hoses though...

Comment

When the carbs were rebuilt/cleaned did you break them down and replace all the various O-rings, including the ones on the interconnection tubes between the carbs? Was the fuel level verified using the clear tube method?
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          When the carbs were rebuilt/cleaned did you break them down and replace all the various O-rings, including the ones on the interconnection tubes between the carbs? Was the fuel level verified using the clear tube method?
                          I'm not totally sure (I forget what was in the rebuild kit); and no, float height was measured but fuel level not checked - I will do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                            I'm not totally sure (I forget what was in the rebuild kit); and no, float height was measured but fuel level not checked - I will do that.
                            Did you ungang all the carbs from the joining bars? Doing so is the only way to replace the fuel transfer tube O-rings. Those are the O-rings that are most routinely hard and brittle, thus failure to replace them can lead to leaks. Also, as the float needles age and the springs get weak it's critical to check them using the clear tube method to be sure the fuel level is correct. The float height check is just to get them close, sort of like the difference between bench sync and vacuum sync.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, carbs were fully broken down to individual components, soaked/cleaned, and rebuilt. I feel like old, crusty o-rings would have been replaced but it was over a year ago and I can't remember. During the off-season I'll check things out more closely.

And thanks for reminding me about the float level. I was gearing up to do an idle mixture check, but it seems like I should check/adjust the floats first.

Comment

Working...
                              X