Carb float hieght

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb float hieght

I am trying to tune in my 81 gs450t, starts ans idlea just fine, but when reved the rpms like to hang around 4000 and not come back down to idle. Starting with a good cleaning and setting float hieght. The guide i was following said to set them at 27mm. These are bs38 right? With the carbs at a 45 deg angle, measuring 27mm from the gasket surface to top of floats, The floats hit the bottom of the carb body before compressing the needle. Im not sure where to set my floats? And after i get the floats right, Where do i want to set the air screws ect to continue tuning?

What's your set up? Stock airbox, exhaust?

Cant help you with the float height, but the fuel level should be about 2-3mm below the bowl gasket.

Hanging revs indicate a lean condition - your idle screws are probably out. Start with 2 turns out and move out until the revs drop back normally.

Also check you have no air leaks at the inlet rubbers.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
    X