Hey noobs with carb issues, listen up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey noobs with carb issues, listen up!

The carb/fuel/exhaust section many times has the most visitors in it at. A lot of you guys are struggling with carb issues resulting in poor performance, especially the newer members. I just finished up a set that took me waaayyyy longer than necessary and I kicked myself the whole time for not boxing them up and shipping them off to one of our forum carb gurus. Just a word of advice, check out the "services" section of the forum and look up Steve or Chef1366.

Longtime members of the forum and they can get your carbs back to great factory performance in short order and for a great price! For the good prices they offer I can't personally afford to mess with them anymore.

This is a pic of a set I finished...after 4 months. Next time I am calling one of these guys and getting on the road MUCH SOONER!
    sss1.jpg

You may have been kicking yourself in the butt, but you did the job and now know you can do it again. Ya, if you're totally non mechanical then you should send them off to be rebuilt. Then again, if you're totally non mechanical then maybe you shouldn't own an old bike like these.

Seriously though, those guys will do a great job if you need it done and done right.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Carb Rebuild Gurus

Carb rebuilds can be a daunting task...I believe that! Just because they are challenging/frustrating to rebuild doesn't mean you're not mechanically deficient (Although some on here would give you a right-ribbing about it).

Definitely heed the advice regarding the rebuild being done by one of several dynamic GSR members. It's a small price to pay to get your bike back on the road.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
        You may have been kicking yourself in the butt, but you did the job and now know you can do it again. Ya, if you're totally non mechanical then you should send them off to be rebuilt. Then again, if you're totally non mechanical then maybe you shouldn't own an old bike like these.

Seriously though, those guys will do a great job if you need it done and done right.
        Since I re-entered the motorcycle scene in 2011 I think I have done at least a dozen sets of carbs, probably closer to 15 sets.

In my opinion if you want the experience of doing it yourself great, it's not that bad if you follow the steps and take your time. Locally I have seen guys destroy carbs by being ham fisted and inpatient, same is true of the forums that I am on and for the money being charged, well worth sending them off. I would trust none of the local hacks (mechanics) with my carbs or anyone elses carbs.

And JT you are so right, more and more when people ask me about vintage bike ownership I find myself steering them away from it unless they really want to get their hands dirty. Outside of the carb services mentioned, you certainly can't pay a local mechanic money to keep your old bike going, you'll go broke trying!

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
          Just a word of advice, check out the "services" section of the forum and look up Steve or Chef1366.
          Next time I am calling one of these guys and getting on the road MUCH SOONER!
          On behalf of Chef and myself, thanks.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

At the next Brown County GS Rally, I think it would be fun to see if Steve can assemble a set of carburetors blind folded... I'd bet he can!!!

nice looking set of carburetors nejeff👍
            Last edited by storm 64; 08-01-2016, 11:22 PM.
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              At the next Brown County GS Rally, I think it would be fun to see if Steve can assemble a set of carburetors blind folded... I'd bet he can!!!
              Can I peek while setting the float height?

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

No offense to Steve and Chef but they didn't become carb cleaning gurus by sending their carbs to someone else. I can say I learned a ton by doing it myself, even if it took me months to realize my carbs weren't fully clean after the first dip. But that and stupid mistakes like not fully tightening a needle valve seat are what the learning experience is about for me.

My Dad taught me the only difference between the pro and me is experience.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

No offence taken, Jordan. Some people are rather qualified to do it themselves, but might happen to live in an apartment where they just don't have the room to spread out all the pieces and use the chemicals that are necessary, so the option is open to them. There are also those who are simply overwhelmed by the 300+ pieces involved in a rack of carbs, so they choose to have someone else do it for them. Again, the option is there, nobody is twisting their arm.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

I did my own and am glad I did. Initially in 99 when i got my 1150 they got a soaking and cleaning, but i was then unaware of the need to ungang them and do the o rings- I did that 2 winters ago. I do consider myself lucky that they were fully intact and all came apart easily. I think thats the difference between a smooth rebuild that a reasonably able person can do at home and a full mess with stuck / broken internal parts. Unfortunately one doesn't know until they are open.....

Ed's (Nessim) tutorial was a great resource.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I have succesfully done several carb set-ups over the past few years.
                      3 CX500s 1-GL1100 1-GS650 1-V45 all with great results.
                      I have done my GS850 carbs twice and they still don;t seem quite right...
                      So right now -- MY carbs are at Steves getting a once over to see what can be improved.
                      Even experienced carb cleaners can learn something from those who do it a lot ...
                      Just my 2¢

Comment

Helpful People

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                        Ed's (Nessim) tutorial was a great resource.
                        I was browsing My Documents and found Ed Ness' Tutorial. I have BS32 Carbs as indicated for my "T". Great .pdf with pics!

Thanks Ed Ness!!!

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                        I have succesfully done several carb set-ups over the past few years.
                        3 CX500s 1-GL1100 1-GS650 1-V45 all with great results.
                        I have done my GS850 carbs twice and they still don;t seem quite right...
                        So right now -- MY carbs are at Steves getting a once over to see what can be improved.
                        Even experienced carb cleaners can learn something from those who do it a lot ...
                        Just my 2¢
                        I was hoping this thread didn't turn into a "scolding" with regards to turning off riders from purchasing a vintage bike if they can't do the maintenance. I believe it hasn't gotten that way...just sayin'.

My thoughts regarding members who offer their services take pride in their work and instill great camaraderie within the Forum. Folks like Steve, chef1366, Ed Ness and many others I'm forgetting to mention, keep the GS spirit alive! Thanks fellas.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

I will chime in here just because I haven't in a long time.....

I was standing in my driveway with a fellow GSer pondering a 1978 GS400 that I just picked up, (My first GS to bring back to life in a while--a couple years). He and I were laughing about all the mistakes we have made along the way and all we have learned through the bikes we have rebuilt and enjoyed and passed on.

I was impatient and as "green" as anyone. I knew nothing about these bikes or the parts...

But through this forum and all the great people on here I learned. I have no fear of 4 carb setups and no fear of syncing them up. It is a set procedures that will yield awesome and satisfying results if they are followed. If you cut corners, it doesn't work. It will bite you in the A$$.

The people here have a wonderful choice, get your hands dirty and dive in, or box them up and send them off. GSers can't lose. One
                          way or another you will be riding.

From my perspective though, it has greatly benefited me to learn the hows and whys of the dark voodoo that goes on in the carb bodies and bowls. Even if you send them off, maybe grab a spare and open it up and see what's inside. It's all pretty interesting and starts to really make sense after awhile.
                          GS Score Card
                          4-400 Series GS's
                          3-500 Series
                          1-600 Series
                          1-700 Series
                          4-800 Series
                          1-1000 Series
                          2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                          sigpic

Comment

Just a word of advise: If you let those carbs sit untreated or unused for more than about 3 weeks you'll learn on the same set more times than once.
                            Even treated, if you let em sit for more than about 4-6 mos, same thing..

Unless of course, your able to find non ethanol fuel. That sh1t will *stop-up* a carb in very short order.
                            sigpic

82 GS850
                            78 GS1000
                            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                            .................________-|___\____
                            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                            X