Please dont do this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just cant win....
    I got the head all back together and set the timing.
    Then promptly broke a bolt off in the cam cap.
    13901587_522751684588774_144364579670631293_n.jpg

Comment

Drove down to the parts store today. Bought a new set of left hand drive drill bits and easy outs. My old set was missing or toasted. I also bought enough bolts to replace all of the cam cap bolts. I know that over torquing the bolts can snap the stock ones or even pull the treads out of the head. Will having a stronger grade of bolts be an issue later? Like will the bolts expand more from heat than stock and crack something?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldman99 View Post
        Drove down to the parts store today. Bought a new set of left hand drive drill bits and easy outs. My old set was missing or toasted. I also bought enough bolts to replace all of the cam cap bolts. I know that over torquing the bolts can snap the stock ones or even pull the treads out of the head. Will having a stronger grade of bolts be an issue later? Like will the bolts expand more from heat than stock and crack something?
        Cam caps? No the higher grade bolts in themselves will not make a difference, that said, the stock bolts are perfect for the job however, the correct torque of these bolts is vital.

7.23 lb-ft
        1.0 kg-m
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
          Cam caps? No the higher grade bolts in themselves will not make a difference, that said, the stock bolts are perfect for the job however, the correct torque of these bolts is vital.

7.23 lb-ft
          1.0 kg-m
          Thank you for the torque numbers. I've got the bike back together for the most part. Just cutting out all of the previous owners (way more than one) bad wiring. Lots of male to female connections and barrel connectors. I chopped out all of them and solder/ heat shrunk them. Got to the point tonight where the engine turned over under her own power. I also noticed the dash lights are much brighter. I might be able to see my neutral light on a sunny day. lol

Comment

Working...
          X