Please dont do this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please dont do this...

Noticed I had a weird screw where I should have a bolt. I got her apart (stock airbox was a pain to get out)and found out it was a sheet metal screw that one might use to attach duct work or a dryer vent. About a 1/4 of an inch long. Removed that and finally got the rubber intake book off. (they used some sort of gasket goop)
    Found that someone broke a tap off in the bolt hole and the tiny screw was a fast patch. Along with the over-sized bolt on the exhaust side. I'm just going to replace the head.
    I'm looking for a replacement at the local shops, but also on ebay because this is my ride to and from work.
    Anyone have a good place to get one overnighted?

13906786_522029431327666_4370845593572226614_n.jpg

tap1.jpg

The newest issue.

Comment

exh1.jpg

The very over-sized bolt I had to get after the other one vibrated out. I'm worried that theres not much aluminum left to hold the weight and stress of the exhaust system.

Comment

As a wise man once said...

8fc37cac2fa5dd5a4e086044fa699be6af0ed39f7f38e970d72a5a9fb5a6c61c.jpg
        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

helicoil it, I did, works like a charm!
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic
          1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

That's just not cool. I thought dealing with snapped exhaust bolts on head was bad but that's worse. Hopefully find something to fix it fast.

Comment

Since you're pulling the head anyway, a decent machine shop can drill out that JB Weld and re-tap the hole on the intake for not much money.

Have you pulled the exhaust yet and looked at what's left of the exhaust port hole?
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

That intake is one of the nastiest previous owner bodges I have seen.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

You have obviously not seen any of my masterpieces....
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic
                  1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Was MacGuyver the previous owner?
                    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                      Was MacGuyver the previous owner?
                      No, he did better work than that.
                      sigpic
                      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                      1983 GS1100e
                      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                      1980 GS1260
                      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                        Since you're pulling the head anyway, a decent machine shop can drill out that JB Weld and re-tap the hole on the intake for not much money.

Have you pulled the exhaust yet and looked at what's left of the exhaust port hole?

I may have to have a shop drill out and re-tap 5 of the 8 due to broken studs. Not sure the cost if I find out will let you know so can get an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmanor View Post
                          I may have to have a shop drill out and re-tap 5 of the 8 due to broken studs. Not sure the cost if I find out will let you know so can get an idea.
                          I have drilled out a couple broken exhaust studs myself using left hand drill bits. Drill a pilot hole in the end of the stud, then use a slightly larger LH drill bit to enlarge the hole and bite deep enough into the stud to back it out.

This followed several rounds of copious amounts of penetrating oil, torch heat, oil, heat again, etc....
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post

I had not really considered that, so I called the shop in town (the one I trust, as there are like 3) And they said the fastest they can work on the head (if I bring in just the head) would be Tuesday. I looked online and it would seem almost all of the heads people have up for sale, have broken bolts stuck in them. The ones that dont, are 2 to 3 times as much.

Comment

Update:

I removed the head.
                              Was unable to back the tap out backwards like you normally would. It was just the tip of one, so it had no threads.
                              I removed the aluminum from around the tap and cleaned it up. Then I drilled a little deeper and cut new threads.
                              Got an aluminum spacer, cut new threads into it. I ran a bolt into it and then screwed it into the new treads in the head.
                              All I need for the shop to do is weld my spacer to the head and I should be good to go.

head bolt.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X