First plug chop after carb rebuild and adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
    Does it hit the wall then recover as the revs go higher or is it like that all the way past 8k?
    Ir seems to hit the wall then recover

Comment

Turning the mixture screws in will lean things, so you could try a 1/4 turn on each. But really you should vacuum synch the carbs first before you start playing around with things. I guess the first questions should be, what bike are we working with here? since you've already done a nice clean up on the carbs and will be vacuum synching why don't you check your valves while you're at it. As for the jets, I'm not sure what your bike has from stock as I'm not sure what bike we're talking about but if you have the stock exhaust and the only change is a K&N filter to replace the stock one I'm pretty sure you should be using stock jets. If someone has been replacing jets and such I wonder if they played around with your needle height? have you checked. There can be a few reasons for a stumble at 8'000, main jet, needle height and maybe a couple of others but if it were my bike I'd get the carbs back to stock with that setup, check my valves, vacuum synch the carbs and then take it for a ride and see what she feels like.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

It's the 1980 gs1000, the jetting was increased by the PO I don't know if he changed needle height or not, before I cleaned and rebuilt everything it would pull as far as I wanted to rev it with the larger jets. I guess I need a Morgan car tune and to vacuum sync these bad boys

Comment

Lift the needles a notch and see what happens. You're in the needle / main jet territory at that rev range (probably more the main jet).
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the information but why would the bike run ok before the carb rebuild and have this hiccup afterwards? Is it because I fixed all the vacuum leaks? Thus changing The AF ratio

Comment

Didn't you say it had bigger jets before?

If it ran well with them.........
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

Possibly, that or the vacuum synch is out. Good to know the bike was running real well before you did the carb rebuild, at least you know the jetting change was ok.
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I should of mentioned that before, basically the events were I bought the bike almost two years ago. Rode the **** out of it. Then in the last month my mileage started suffering so I assumed it was a carb problem and I saw a gas leak from the fuel bowl turned O-ring issue.....carbs rebuilt new o rings in boots and carbs and gaskets, same jets and other set up is all the same then this issue started . All this time It actually was a bad spark plug from oreillys ���� the carbs needed cleaned and rebuilt anyways.... So now here we are

Comment

So it's fixed? Good to hear.

For what it's worth it was a very strange symptom of hitting a wall and then coming good at that rpm range to be a carb issue. At 8k rpm the carbs are pretty much using the full main jet so there really is nothing that would change in the carbs for that symptom to occur.
                    Current:

Past:

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                      So it's fixed? Good to hear.

For what it's worth it was a very strange symptom of hitting a wall and then coming good at that rpm range to be a carb issue. At 8k rpm the carbs are pretty much using the full main jet so there really is nothing that would change in the carbs for that symptom to occur.
                      sorry for the misunderstanding it is not fixed those were the issues leading up to the hitting wall issue. After that I am currently trying to figure out that last issue

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
                        The nice golden hue has went away on the pipes, I have checked mileage yet. I needed an ice cold beer after this fiasco today. What would cause the 8K stumbling?
                        What does the golden hue mean? My pipes have slowly gotten the golden tint in the past month. I feel like the bike is running hot, but not sure if that's related to the 100 degree weather. I'm scared that it's running a bit lean, which is causing it to run hot and turn the pipes gold. Are golden pipes a sign of running lean?
                        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                          What does the golden hue mean? My pipes have slowly gotten the golden tint in the past month. I feel like the bike is running hot, but not sure if that's related to the 100 degree weather. I'm scared that it's running a bit lean, which is causing it to run hot and turn the pipes gold. Are golden pipes a sign of running lean?
                          I believe the golden hue is a sign of richness, blue pipes are lean condition also some metal naturally dis colors but mine were gold

Comment

Got it all cleaned up and back together it's hard to tell but the pipes were golden and now it has slowly went away

What a beaut, I have an 850, Identical. is this consider Cosmic Blue?

Comment

I believe the golden hue is a sign of richness, blue pipes are lean condition also some metal naturally dis colors but mine were gold
                              Gold (or straw) is the condition of hot metal, blue comes next then purple. It's progressive.
                              Alan

sigpic
                              Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                              Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                              Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

sorry for the misunderstanding it is not fixed those were the issues leading up to the hitting wall issue. After that I am currently trying to figure out that last issue
                                OK - still the same resolution I think. You should be checking your ignition system.

It doesn't sound like a carb issue at the rpm range, however, raising the needles is free and worth a try.
                                Current:

Past:

Comment

Working...
                                X