First plug chop after carb rebuild and adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First plug chop after carb rebuild and adjustment

Hey guys, after several attempts and adjustments of the carbs after rebuild I think I have it lined out. I was a bad GS owner and have neglected the maintenance until this year. So here's what I did

1. Carb rebuild, new O-rings, gaskets, A/F screw turned 2.75 turns out on all cylinders floats are all within spec, new fuel line, petcock is good no flow on reserve or normal. Prime has a great flow of gas .
    Jets are a 120, 45, 180, K&N air filter and stock exhaust
    2. New plugs and wire caps
    3. All new fluids, greased all the bearings, new fork oil, sprigs, brakes and braided lines

Now that all that stuff out of the way here are the photos of the plugs after a mile run, I ran the bike pretty hard only problem is around 8-9k the bike kinda studders but still continues to pull to redline just not as hard like its hit a wall

Plugs are 1-4 left to right in all photos gaps are .7mm
    also I have all new o-rings in carb boots and new air boots

Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2016, 09:02 PM.

Maybe a titch rich on all of them.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Is this fixed by turning in the A/F screw? Or should I change the jets back to stock? They are the jets that were in it when I bought it

Comment

I'd be happy. Keeps the pipes from turning blue. How's the mileage?
        Alan

sigpic
        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

The nice golden hue has went away on the pipes, I have checked mileage yet. I needed an ice cold beer after this fiasco today. What would cause the 8K stumbling?

Comment

Got it all cleaned up and back together it's hard to tell but the pipes were golden and now it has slowly went away

Comment

I didn't see where you have vacuum synched the carbs. Have you? That may help with the high-RPM stumble. The plugs don't look bad at all to me. Maybe a touch rich, but that's better than lean.

Comment

I did not vacuum sync yet, after all the parts I bought I had to let the ole budget recoup before I purchase a sync tool, When I took them apart I never messed with the sync screws but checked with with a bench sync method and didn't see anything that warranted adjustment

Comment

Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
                  I did not vacuum sync yet, after all the parts I bought I had to let the ole budget recoup before I purchase a sync tool, When I took them apart I never messed with the sync screws but checked with with a bench sync method and didn't see anything that warranted adjustment
                  You'd be amazed at the difference a good vacuum sync makes.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                    You'd be amazed at the difference a good vacuum sync makes.
                    Agreed - but it will have no effect at 8k.....
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                      Agreed - but it will have no effect at 8k.....
                      true........

Comment

So??? Back to the drawing board?

Comment

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will come along to give you some advice. Hang loose...

Comment

But it's Saturday night doesn't everyone hang around a website for 30ish year old bikes?!?!?!

Comment

Does it hit the wall then recover as the revs go higher or is it like that all the way past 8k?
                              Current:
                              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Working...
                              X