First plug chop after carb rebuild and adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
    OK - still the same resolution I think. You should be checking your ignition system.

It doesn't sound like a carb issue at the rpm range, however, raising the needles is free and worth a try.

I I took it on a test ride and tried a frw different things, at WOT is when it stumbles, if I slowly roll the throttle to redline it doesn't stumble at all. Times like this I wish I had a GOPro to film the riding when this happens

Comment

Blimey you certainly know how to ring the neck off an old skool motor. I wouldn't take mine over 7,000 but each to their own.

Yes, at that level the carbs are working flat out and you could be suffering a momentary shortage of fuel. Could be float levels a little low? Or some restriction in the flow of gas?

The stumble is telling you that it's running out of breath and you need to back off a little!
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Add a fuel pump..........

Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
          Blimey you certainly know how to ring the neck off an old skool motor. I wouldn't take mine over 7,000 but each to their own.

Yes, at that level the carbs are working flat out and you could be suffering a momentary shortage of fuel. Could be float levels a little low? Or some restriction in the flow of gas?

The stumble is telling you that it's running out of breath and you need to back off a little!
          thats when it's just getting warmed up. I'm going to take the carbs back off and reset the floats a little
          Lower just incase they are running out of fuel

Comment

Update: I pulled the carbs again, dipped and then boiled in lemon juice and water mixture (aka lemon aid) as Steve said . After much consultation I kept the main jet at 120 given my set up it seems to be enough, I lowered the pilot jet to 40 and put in a 170 air jet. 2 3/4 turns on all air fuel screws. The bike pulls hard up to 9k now. It seems to have much more power down low and top end idles for the first time ever. I'm sure it's a combination of the vacuum leaks fixed, floats readjusted, new plugs, caps, coil relay modification proper jetting. I just wanted to post this incase someone else wants to reference it for jetting size or other issues. Thanks again
            -James

Comment

Working...
            X