Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After market fuel filter

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is a 'wrong' spot to put an inline fuel filter? Do they need to be protected at all? Or secured in any fashion?

The stock fuel filter is not in the bike, and is a pain in the royal ass to get in there... So mechanic suggested an aftermarket one.

Need to determine this before I go cutting the fuel hose line to know where I should put it. Should it be oriented in any direction?

Thanks,

Originally posted by charger View Post
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is a 'wrong' spot to put an inline fuel filter? Do they need to be protected at all? Or secured in any fashion?

The stock fuel filter is not in the bike, and is a pain in the royal ass to get in there... So mechanic suggested an aftermarket one.

Need to determine this before I go cutting the fuel hose line to know where I should put it. Should it be oriented in any direction?

Thanks,
    What bike??

Comment

Originally posted by charger View Post
      Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is a 'wrong' spot to put an inline fuel filter?

The wrong place for an inline fuel filter is on a Suzuki GS.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If the screens in the petcock (inside the tank) are in good condition, you shouldn't need any additional filter. Having said that, my old tank has some rust and corrosion so Im using an inline filter (bronze reusable type) to be on the safe side. I think you could mount it anywhere that it wont get too hot.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Suzuki GS450TDX 1983.

Stock filter is not there. And would be a pain in the ass to install one as it resides inside the tank.

There is a tad rust in the tank, and last week sediment fouled up the carbs, so I want to put a filter on it asap.

Comment

You would be better off getting a new petcock that has the filter on it.

If the "filter" is missing entirely, you also have no REServe function available on your petcock.
            Part of the filter assembly is the raised inlet for the MAIN part of the tank, then the lower opening for the REServe.
            Without the filter, you will always be drawing off the bottom of the tank, therefore, no REServe.

As tkent said, the wrong place to put a filter is on a GS. That is because most of the filters that are purchased are from an auto parts store. All cars on the road today have pressurized fuel systems. Older carbureted cars will have pumps pushing about 4 psi, but fuel injected cars will be closer to 40-50 psi. PLENTY of pressure in either case to push fuel through a restrictive filter media. Your bike only relies on gravity to get fuel through the line. There is not much "pressure" available to get through the filter. If you absolutely think you MUST have a filter, get one made for a garden tractor, most of them are gravity-fed, too.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am using an inline filter right now, didn't know it isn't recommended. Anyway, the one I have is a generic car inline filter for diesel. The ones for gasoline have a paper element inside, which will dry out under a day and clog up, the one for diesel has a thin net instead of paper, exactly like a bike's petcock has /should have. I put it just above the carburetors, laying on it's side, had to add quite a length of fuel line though, and clamps for the line too. Ideally, the filter would fit between the carbs, but I wasn't capable to put it there without pulling the carburetors out.

Comment

Clean/derust the tank, and replace the screen filter on the petcock. There is no need for an inline filter of any kind.

Fix the real problem. Don't put band-aids on them.

...or duct-tape and baling wire

Comment

If you live in an area where you're absolutely guaranteed to always get clean, sparkling fuel, sure you don't need a filter of any sort. Some folks just like to repeat drivel.
                  Meanwhile, in the real world...
                  Fit as big a one as you can and have it easily visible. Treat it as a service item, and if you see it getting dirty, replace it. Replace it every couple of years anyway - they're cheap enough.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X