No announcement yet.

gs850gl sputtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid I can't reconsider my position, as my position is not having the funds. It IS an excellent offer, at a great price. As it sits, his price might as well be a million dollars. If you don't have the money, what does it matter the price? I live pay check to pay check. I saved $20 every two weeks to buy this motorcycle ($1000), insurance ($155 for a year) and registration ($120), with $40 left over. I am a father of two, and their needs come first when it comes to stretching my pay. When I used the word "struggling", I meant it.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
      MINE are at STEVE'S getting a final once over and tune up to try to finally FIX whatever it is ailing my bike...
      And they are just about done, Carl.
      Hope to have them in the mail before the weekend.

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
      ... -- but when the GS Whisperer offers ... ?
      Jus' tryin' to give him an option.

Last edited by Steve; 08-09-2016, 03:34 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        And they are just about done, Carl.
        Hope to have them in the mail before the weekend.

Purple or Orange ...

Comment

Let's let the masses decide.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Okay, buddy of mine had an extra set of o rings. He has an '81. Picked those up from him, took off the carbs. Clean as a whistle. Sprayed some carb cleaner around intake manifolds, nothing. Sprayed around the air box cover connections, and idle went up. Any way to fix?

Comment

Would those cone air filters be okay?

Comment

Another question, what size should the main jets be usually? The two outside carbs are 115, and the two inside carbs are 125. Maybe 125 in the outside carbs, and 135 in the middle two?

Comment

Anyone? Opinions?

Comment

I believe the 83 is the same as my 82. If you are running stock airbox and exhaust, they should all be 115.
                      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                      1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Thanks for the info, I spoke with the previous owner, and he said he opened up the exhaust a bit. And at 70 plus I'm running a little lean. Should I up the jets?

Comment

He drilled out the smaller holes.
                          Attached Files

Comment

What you saw and sprayed in the carburetors was useless. Anything less than a 24hr. soak in carburetor cleaner with the rack torn down is a waste of time. It's what you can't see. You need to use the foam stick on weatherstripping to seal the lid. I have seen pristine looking carburetors boil out crud when put in the carburetor dip and the spray carb cleaner is only good for flushing out the carburetor dip and surface cleaning before blowing out with compressed air..
                            Last edited by OldVet66; 08-10-2016, 08:39 PM.
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I didn't spray anything in the carbs. I put them in the ultra sonic cleaner. Jets were clear, diaphragm pliable, etc.

Comment

I missed that. That is probably the best way to clean them, but not something everyone has access to. I would look for weatherstripping that can be cut to emulate the original lid seals. That may fix the lean condition. If not I would avoid anything that would increase airflow since the exhaust has been drilled. Shimming the main jet needles so they are slightly higher (more fuel) might cure it all together.
                                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                                X