No announcement yet.

gs850gl sputtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't take the snap ring out to look at the needle set up on these. Is there an e clip, or just one set position?

Comment

All my experience is with VM carburetors and the needles are notched. I believe yours are fixed but can be shimmed. I have heard you can get the washers at radio shack in an assortment pack. Hopefully someone that has that experience will chime in.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Okay thanks. I'll take a look, doesn't take too much time.

Comment

Originally posted by maddman View Post
          I didn't take the snap ring out to look at the needle set up on these. Is there an e clip, or just one set position?
          There is an E clip, but there is only one groove to put it in.

The process of "shimming the needle" can be a bit confusing if you don't fully understand how the needle works. In stock form, there is a thick nylon spacer above the e-clip and a thin metal washer below the e-clip and a spring that pushes it all up, against the stopper. Since you want to raise the needle, you need to remove the nylon spacer and replace it with a few small washers whose total thickness is about half the nylon spacer. Everybody suggests "Radio Shack" for washers, but Radio Shack has severely limited its locations recently. If you can still find one, they have a bag of assorted washers for just a few bucks. The smallest ones in the bag work perfectly, and three of them should replace each spacer on the needle.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll stop by the RadioShack in town tomorrow. Thanks.

Comment

Okay, fixed an exhaust leak, seal airbox, and raised the needle with washers from RadioShack. Sputtering is gone, and no more need for choke at highway speeds. �� thanks everyone for all your help ��.

Comment

Working...
              X