Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging idle going to stall, NOT carbs. Need ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I now know a lot more about what it is NOT. Still looking for the cause but I need to take a couple days off to clear my mind. I am pretty much down to Dyna or jumped cam timing, although it runs so well above 2k. I have a Dyna on another bike, so that may be next.
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I wanted to update this in case someone stumbles on it in the future. It WAS the carbs, and I feel like an idiot. However, it was NOT too lean, it was too rich. I had that fleeting thought early on, but dismissed it. It ran fine with the 4-1, the stock exhaust has more backpressure = richer. If the idle circuit is too rich, you have to increase the idle speed to keep it running, which uncovers more of the 3 ports under the butterfly. Once you do that the mixture screw really doesn't have much effect. I pulled the plugs after idling for a while, #1 was black and 2-4 were darker than normal. Looked at #1 and found the mixture screw when turned in was stopping on boogered threads instead of bottoming out. I carefully coaxed it in another 3 turns or so. I also changed the pilot air jets from 170 to the correct 160. Turned the mixture screws out 4 turns and slightly better, but not right. Turned the screws in gradually to about 2 turns which sped the idle up enough to turn down the main idle screw to ~1200 and it is steady as a rock. This may or may not be factually correct, but it explains it pretty well: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...y-re-different . Moral of the story, hanging idle with CV carbs can be too rich as well as too lean. A WB AFR meter is on my list.

Glad to have this finally sorted, a great learning experience and the new owner picks it up Sunday. But he is bringing another GS trade.....
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
      X