Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850G -82 exhaust

Hi!

I am just looking through ebay and trying to assemble a list to budget for this coming winters engine work.
    I don't know when any of the PO's did any major maintenance on this bike, but it seems like it was a LONG time ago!

Judging from sounds and what is visible without tearing down the bike too much, I know this much:

* Carbs needs to be properly cleaned, fully rebuilt and probably synced.
    * I got an oil leak at the cylinder base, so if I am changing that gasket, I might as well change all top-end gaskets.
    * While I am anyway having the engine open, I might as well check the valves.
    * The exhaust has been strangely modified. Seems that one PO have cut off the original muffler from the stock 4-1 system and welded on a 550 muffler.

I have managed to find all parts from ebay, partzilla and csmnl, but so far, I am stuck on the exhaust.
    I don't really want to get an overly expensive exhaust system, but since stock is not available anywhere, I am looking at after market systems.
    However, I only find systems that are said to fit 79 - 81 bikes, but none for the 82 bikes.

I have tried to search here, but so far not been able to find any clues.
    Does anyone here know if an 80 or 81 system would fit on my 82 bike?

Yes, it will fit, but you might have to make a hanger for the rear mount.

A '79 system will not have the crossover.

By the way, the stock system was not a 4 into 1.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Yes, it will fit, but you might have to make a hanger for the rear mount.

A '79 system will not have the crossover.

By the way, the stock system was not a 4 into 1.

Hi Steve,

Great to know.
      I managed to find a new exhaust for the 82 model though, just have to wait a bit to order it since I can't decide which style I want..
      Straight pipe or a cone. Think I will make some mockups and see which seems to look best

Comment

Working...
      X