'77 Suzuki GS750 Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 Suzuki GS750 Trouble

Bought my first bike this summer, a '77 GS750 in great shape.
    Very new to motorcycles, and looking for a few pointers as I've been having some trouble with it.

• Two months ago, bought it, and it ran great. Maybe a bit of a high idle (2k rpms).
    • Replaced the battery right away, as a recharge didn't bring it back to full.
    • Removed an old fairing, and replaced it with a used headlight assembly.
    • Couple of days later, after a long ride, it wouldn't start. Would turn over, but wouldn't idle. Had ~1/2 tank of gas in it, and eventually got it home by leaving it on prime tank.
    • Got it home, cleaned the sparkplugs, filled gas, reset the fuel/air mixture to service manual suggestion.
    • Started it, but was bogging very bad out of first. By the time I got it home, it would stall when I tried to accelerate out of first.
    • Now it will not start, with a ~full tank.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

If you got it home by using prime I'd be checking your petcock to make sure it's not leaking. I'd also take your oil cap off and have a good smell to make sure no gas has contaminated your oil. Next, since you replaced your battery, I'd check the charging.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Please look at the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature. It will help you understand what to do when purchasing a 35 year old motorcycle.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        If you got it home by using prime I'd be checking your petcock to make sure it's not leaking.
        Thanks, I'll check it out. Would this lead to a high volume of gas leaking onto the ground? There is not gas leaking from the bike while the petcock is in any position.

Comment

Not necessarily, it'll just fill up your crank. 'Nessism' gave some very good advice/information, check his thread out.
          Rob
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

If you notice the smell of gas in the oil or the level rising through the sight glass, that's a sign fuel is leaking into the motor.
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
              If you notice the smell of gas in the oil or the level rising through the sight glass, that's a sign fuel is leaking into the motor.
              Thanks. If I find this is the case, I assume I should do an oil change immediately, and try to resolve the leak.

Comment

Yes sir! It's a bit of a catch 22. As soon as I noticed the gas, I changed the oil. Assumed it had leaked a lot of gas into the oil. But then I had to run the bike to make sure I fixed the problem. Since I didn't fix it the first time, more gas got in the oil. I suggest using cheap oil on the initial change while you're locating the problem and do a final oil change with the good oil once you know you've fixed it.
                Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

# 1 here is your new petcock. rebuild kits are a general waste of money and down time so just bite the bullet and get the OEM and be done with petcock issues for the next 15 or 20 years. I agree its probably a fuel delivery problem due to a failing petcock. If it runs on PRIme and not the ON position thats a dead give away

Shop online for OEM Fuel Cock parts that fit your 1977 Suzuki GS750B, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-24-2016, 05:41 PM.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    # 1 here is your new petcock. rebuild kits are a general waste of money and down time so just bite the bullet and get the OEM and be done with petcock issues for the next 15 or 20 years. I agree its probably a fuel delivery problem due to a failing petcock. If it runs on PRIme and not the ON position thats a dead give away
                    Checked the oil cap and there is no sign of gas in the oil. No scent, nothing obvious in the sight glass.
                    Pulled and cleaned my sparkplugs, and spark tested all of them. They are all functional, and none are fouled.
                    I opened the drain on my carbs and drained them. After that, to test my petcock I moved it from ON to PRIME and gas flowed into the carbs when switched, and off when switched back. Does this mean my Petcock is functional?

Still will not start on any setting.

Thanks

Comment

If you have it in the 'on' position and no gas is dripping out at all that part of petcock is working fine, to test the vacuum side you have it in the 'on' position and apply a bit of suction by sucking on the vacuum line and fuel should only come out when you apply vacuum. Have you done any voltage testing yet?
                      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        If you have it in the 'on' position and no gas is dripping out at all that part of petcock is working fine, to test the vacuum side you have it in the 'on' position and apply a bit of suction by sucking on the vacuum line and fuel should only come out when you apply vacuum. Have you done any voltage testing yet?
                        I have only tested the voltage on the battery which seems to be working well (it's brand new).
                        I am thinking it is carb/fuel related due to the bogging when taking off the last time it was 'functional'.

Comment

Leave it on Prime for ten minutes or so before trying to start it after draining the carbs, mine took a while to fill.

Do you have spark? Remove one plug lead and put a spare "good" plug into the end, hold the threaded area against the cylinder head fins (bare metal) and spin it over on the starter for a few seconds. That will eliminate that.
                          1996 GSF1200 — Pretty Much Standard.
                          1983 GSX750ES — Cafe Racer Project
                          1980 GS550E — 673 Conversion.
                          1980 GS400 — Cafe Racer???

http://biketech7.blogspot.com.au

Comment

If it takes more than 1 minute to fill the bowls youve got problems. Either a kinked fuel line or the needles are barely opening. I count to about 45 then full choke and hit the button myhelf if they are known to be dry bowls from storage or maintenance.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

all the fuel could be in the crankcase, when running is it smelling hot ? and fuming
                              My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Working...
                              X