Suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions please

I am getting ready to synchronize the carbs on my 1000E and one of the little ports that the carbtune hoses attach to has been stripped from a PO. Any ideas on how to repair this stripped thread?

I have a heli coil but not the special tool to install it. I just checked locally and the price to get the correct tool to insert the heli coil is going to cost me around $50.

I am having a hard time trying to justify spending 50 bux for a one time use tool.

Can I just drill out the hole to a larger size then tap it with the correct sized tap and put the screw into the heli coil and insert it with some thread lock on it?

Thanks in advance.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Heli-coils are a unique-sized thread on the outside. They don't really have numbers published, they just provide the proper tap and say "here, use THIS".

The installation tool is special because it pulls the coil in from the end, which pulls it into a slightly tighter diameter. When you break off the tang (you will want to have the carbs off while you do that), the coil relaxes a bit and expands into place, which locks it there. There is really no other way to install the coil.

Let me see if I have a 5mm kit. If I do, I'll let you borrow it to do your install.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

cut a slot in the end of a small bolt? no real magic to the special tool, as far as i can tell....
      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
        cut a slot in the end of a small bolt? no real magic to the special tool, as far as i can tell....
        The "small bolt" is a specially-undersized bolt that allows the coil to shrink in just a bit. Unless you have an M4.5x0.5 bolt in your pocket, he needs the proper tool.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

If you can't come up with a reasonable fix can you just tap it to 6mm and use a 6mm adaptor.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
            If you can't come up with a reasonable fix can you just tap it to 6mm and use a 6mm adaptor.
            I guess this might be my best bet as there are some 6mm adapters in the carbtune package and I have a 6mm tap on hand already.
            Now I need to drill a new hole of either 5mm or 3/16 in. and tap with the 6mm tap and get a 6mm screw. Way cheaper than that 50 dollar special tool to install a heli coil.
            Last edited by alke46; 09-07-2016, 09:46 PM.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Heli-coils are a unique-sized thread on the outside. They don't really have numbers published, they just provide the proper tap and say "here, use THIS".

The installation tool is special because it pulls the coil in from the end, which pulls it into a slightly tighter diameter. When you break off the tang (you will want to have the carbs off while you do that), the coil relaxes a bit and expands into place, which locks it there. There is really no other way to install the coil.

Let me see if I have a 5mm kit. If I do, I'll let you borrow it to do your install.

Are you sure they are special sized taps?I have a knock off kit and had to coil an 1 oversize bolt that some PO put in place of the 6 mm exhaust stud on my 82 GPz750. The coil went right in and a 6 mm bolt now fits.An age ago a local shop did two coils for a stripped exhaust thread on my 81 GS650E (RIP).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Sorry, I do not have a 5mm Heli-coil kit.

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                Are you sure they are special sized taps?I have a knock off kit and had to coil an 1 oversize bolt that some PO put in place of the 6 mm exhaust stud on my 82 GPz750. The coil went right in and a 6 mm bolt now fits.An age ago a local shop did two coils for a stripped exhaust thread on my 81 GS650E (RIP).
                Did they install a 6mm kit or did they just use the tap for the 5mm kit and not install the coil?

I am under the impression that the TAPS are a unique size to Heli-coil and maybe to anyone else that uses a similar system. For example, the M5x0.8 kit that is necessary for alke46's bike will have instructions to use a certain size drill, then their special tap. That tap is what is necessary to put threads into the hole that was just drilled that will allow the coil to be inserted to bring it back to M5x0.8 specs. I have no idea if that tap is 5.8mm wide, 6mm wide, 6.3mm wide or what, but for sure, it's what is necessary for their coil.

Standard thread pitches for M5 and M6 are different, so I am guessing that you might have had an M6 kit installed.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

What the shop did I have no idea but it worked even if it was a bodge.A Helicoil brand kit may be different but my kit the tap just ran up the 8 mm threads and the coil made them 6.Yes I'm surprised it worked.

Comment

That's even more puzzling. M8 comes in 1.25, 1.50 and 1.75 pitches, but the M6 is 1.0, 0.8 and 0.5.

No way a simple M8 tap will allow an M6 bolt to thread in. As stated before, the larger size for the Heli-coil taps might approach an M8 size, but the thread pitch will be for the smaller bolt for which the coil is sized.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

You are correct Steve, Helicoil taps are special sizes but the pitch is the same.
                      Alan

sigpic
                      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Heli-coils suck. There are several insert kits that are superior.

Comment

Please feel free to elaborate.

True, Heli-coils might not be the best, but they are usually much easier to obtain and perfectly acceptable for the job at hand.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I will elaborate. Helicoils are good for more permanent fastening. I personally don't like them either.
                            In this instance I would prefer tapping to M6 and use Helicoils as last resort.
                            Alan

sigpic
                            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I am going to tap the hole for 6mm and just have 3 of one size and 1 that is 6mm instead of 5mm.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Working...
                              X