No announcement yet.

1981 Gs1000g CV main and primary jet size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory setting is closer to 1 1/2 turns out and then a anti-tamper plug is inserted on top. At 2 turns out it should still have plenty of room for the plug so being level with the top of the towers makes no sense. Something isn't right.
    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 09-13-2016, 12:42 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I have the answer... pic to follow as soon as I get it off my phone...

Comment

I bet that someone filed down the towers after they cut a slot into them to remove the screws.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

20160912_155509.jpg
          I've had US spec Intruders a VL1400, It had the Cali spec charcoal canister and blanked off air screw caps. I junked the canister and fitted a DJ kit to that. I also have a VL1500 that too came with air screw blanks, they were removed and I imported a Gman stage 3 kit and fitted that. I took a close look at the air screw in my GS1000.....all becomes clear when you compare it to a US market bike.....

Comment

That would do it. Not sure if the taper is the same so be cautious on the mix and match of the parts.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I had another go today, tried the old Piperx filters and boom she pulls full throttle.... I have 127.5 mains and stock primary's with 2 turns out on the air screw and second notch up from bottom on the stock needles.. she gets better the more I ride, it needs to be ridden now after been in my garage since October last year and see what happens, I let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Miff View Post
                I had another go today, tried the old Piperx filters and boom she pulls full throttle.... I have 127.5 mains and stock primary's with 2 turns out on the air screw and second notch up from bottom on the stock needles.. she gets better the more I ride, it needs to be ridden now after been in my garage since October last year and see what happens, I let you know.
                What she needs is to have the proper maintenance performed (valves adjusted, timing set, proper jet installed, carbs cleaned and synced) before you ride her. Otherwise you may end up with less then a desirable ending.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                  If that's two turns out then they were never seated at the start. The screw heads would not be flush with the tower.
                  Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                  Factory setting is closer to 1/2 turns out and then a anti-tamper plug is inserted on top. At 2 turns out it should still have plenty of room for the plug so being level with the top of the towers makes no sense. Something isn't right.
                  If those were US-spec carbs, I would agree with you, but I think I have seen it posted here that carbs sent to other world markets did not require the anti-tamper plugs, so their 'towers' were not as tall. And I think there is a "1" missing from your post, the stock setting would be closer to 1 1/2 turns (maybe as much as 1 3/4).

Originally posted by Miff View Post
                  Just so you fully understand the different parts of the carbs, those are NOT "air screws".

They control the amount of a preset mixture that is admitted to the air, downstream of the throttle plate. Turning them out (anti-clockwise) will richen the overall mixture. If they were "air" screws, turning them that direction would admit more air, leaning the mixture.

Sounds like you have it set pretty close, which is something you can do with your adjustable needles. When we were "blessed" with the anti-tamper mixture screws, they also "blessed" us with but a single groove for the clip on the needle.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, meant 1 1/2 turns. Corrected.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

She is running a Boyer Bransden micro digital ignition that I fitted and set. The valves I checked and needed nothing....lol I sync the carbs using a Morgan carbtune after every strip, I'm very good at it as I own a Yamaha Venture trike....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        If those were US-spec carbs, I would agree with you, but I think I have seen it posted here that carbs sent to other world markets did not require the anti-tamper plugs, so their 'towers' were not as tall. And I think there is a "1" missing from your post, the stock setting would be closer to 1 1/2 turns (maybe as much as 1 3/4).

Just so you fully understand the different parts of the carbs, those are NOT "air screws".

They control the amount of a preset mixture that is admitted to the air, downstream of the throttle plate. Turning them out (anti-clockwise) will richen the overall mixture. If they were "air" screws, turning them that direction would admit more air, leaning the mixture.

Sounds like you have it set pretty close, which is something you can do with your adjustable needles. When we were "blessed" with the anti-tamper mixture screws, they also "blessed" us with but a single groove for the clip on the needle.

I'm gunna ride here for a day or too,, just to get a feel for her and see what she's like.

Comment

Good to hear. Now get the jetting right for those pods and you'll be set. The DJ kit will do you well.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Just an update. I have sorted the jetting/running issue, she now runs sweet. It has the stock pilot jet and 127 mains and raised the needle 1 notch above stock but had to dump the K&N style filters for the Piperx foamies...she wont pull cleanly on the K&N's, swapped them over twice....Problem now is a battery drain when lights are on.

Comment

Working...
                            X