Anyone ever use 6sigmajetkit.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever use 6sigmajetkit.com?

As the title inquires, wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? Seems like they calculate the needs you have based on your moto, elevation, and modifications. Even has a comment section to talk to them and make sure they know what you're running before sending you a kit.

I'm thinking of buying one of their basic kits as a back up in case a carb rebuild day goes bad and I drop or break something.

Well I ordered a kit!
    I will take pictures and post them and let everyone know the result.

Comment

Hopefully your experience is better than a couple others that have reported here.

Don't know much about your moto and modifications, at least your elevation won't change much.

EDIT: I just went to their site to see what they might recommend for my bike. After entering make/model/year, etc., I was give the option to "Buy Now", without telling me ANYTHING about what I was ordering. No, thanks.

Last edited by Steve; 09-14-2016, 10:50 AM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I ordered one for my bike several years ago when I was still learning about carbs. I got bigger mains and shims for the needles and full set of instructions. What you are paying most of the money for is knowledge. You could purchase the parts for much less if you knew what you wanted. For what I knew at the time, I would consider it a decent purchase.

Comment

I have a 1981 gs450s that has pods but is otherwise stock. I drive at an elevation of a whopping 10-100 feet above sea level.

I bought o-rings from cycleorings and float bowl gaskets from Babbits along with a couple extra tidbits. I mainly bought the kit just to see what they are offering. I looked at prices at jetsrus and I saw that I could get everyhhing I would need there. I figure for $50 I am getting something that I can experiment with and begin gaining knowledge.

Meanwhile, I'm talking to anyone I can find that has 450 parts for when I make a mistake and break something lol
          Parts at babbits are decent quality but they seem to use Santa Clause for shipping given their shipping prices.

Comment

Haven't used Babbitt's for a while. Many of us use Parts Outlaw. In fact, they are just up the road from you in Deland.

Keep in mind that most of the online vendors do not stock parts for our old bikes. They have to order from the Suzuki warehouse(s). I was told once that they also have to have a minimum amount before placing and order, so if they had just ordered and you were the first one to come in after that, it might take a few days to hit that $500 (or whatever) minimum so they could place the order. After the order is placed, Suzuki has to ship to the dealer, who then has to re-package and send to you. Figure on a two-week minimum for any order.

As mentioned, I looked at the 6Sigma site to see what they offered for my bike. Wanted to compare their suggestions for a couple of different options (stock/pods/header,etc.), but their only sales pitch is "every kit is custom-engineered for your bike, your riding environment", with no details on what jets, what needles, etc. were being offered. The price was decent, compared to Dynojet, but with the feedback previously reported here, I am not going to be inconveniencing any electrons by ordering from them.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bought one a few years ago for my daughter's Polaris Phoenix. It came with a couple main jets, a couple needle shims, and a drill to remove the idle screw plug. The main jets were huge and the engine wouldn't hardly run. I gave them all the information about the quad (It was stock except for a K&N filter w/outerwear). I ended up using one of the shims and buying a main jet that was 2 sizes larger than stock and it worked great. The jet kit was a waste of money though.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Haven't used Babbitt's for a while. Many of us use Parts Outlaw. In fact, they are just up the road from you in Deland.

Keep in mind that most of the online vendors do not stock parts for our old bikes. They have to order from the Suzuki warehouse(s). I was told once that they also have to have a minimum amount before placing and order, so if they had just ordered and you were the first one to come in after that, it might take a few days to hit that $500 (or whatever) minimum so they could place the order. After the order is placed, Suzuki has to ship to the dealer, who then has to re-package and send to you. Figure on a two-week minimum for any order.

As mentioned, I looked at the 6Sigma site to see what they offered for my bike. Wanted to compare their suggestions for a couple of different options (stock/pods/header,etc.), but their only sales pitch is "every kit is custom-engineered for your bike, your riding environment", with no details on what jets, what needles, etc. were being offered. The price was decent, compared to Dynojet, but with the feedback previously reported here, I am not going to be inconveniencing any electrons by ordering from them.

I've ordred from Babbits a couple times now and I've no troubles, but being that Parts Outlaw is in Deland I think I'll be switching just simply because they're right there!!

Inconveniencing electrons! LMAO
                As a person thoroughly educated in the properties and behavior of electrons and electronic circuitry, I find this comment funnier than I should.

I've read over the jetting guide that I found linked somewhere on this forum to factorypro (my dad always did all my jetting for me, I should've been paying more attention than just passing a beer). Plus I've read over a lot of other's woes and trials. I'm confident I can get the bike running perfectly, it may be fine after I do a dip and replace the orings, drain plug rings, and float bowl gaskets. That is being done pending on the cycleorings and babbits delivery arrival. But in case it needs more attention, I will hopefully have some useful parts to get me on the road.

what I don't want is a prolonged downtime. I dislike downtime. I will buy a second gs450 carb set to prevent downtime lmao

plus it's my ride to school. I have a car but parking a car is twice as much as parking the moto, in fact I think I can often park the moto for free so next semester I'm not buying a parking pass at all.

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                I bought one a few years ago for my daughter's Polaris Phoenix. It came with a couple main jets, a couple needle shims, and a drill to remove the idle screw plug. The main jets were huge and the engine wouldn't hardly run. I gave them all the information about the quad (It was stock except for a K&N filter w/outerwear). I ended up using one of the shims and buying a main jet that was 2 sizes larger than stock and it worked great. The jet kit was a waste of money though.
                Did you tell them of your experience and try to get the issue corrected? If I end up with jets that are way out of the range I need, I've no hesitation to ask for a refund. I guess I'll have the experience of learning to look forward to at any rate!

Comment

Originally posted by Boba View Post
                  I've ordred from Babbits a couple times now and I've no troubles, but being that Parts Outlaw is in Deland I think I'll be switching just simply because they're right there!!

Inconveniencing electrons! LMAO
                  As a person thoroughly educated in the properties and behavior of electrons and electronic circuitry, I find this comment funnier than I should.

I've read over the jetting guide that I found linked somewhere on this forum to factorypro (my dad always did all my jetting for me, I should've been paying more attention than just passing a beer). Plus I've read over a lot of other's woes and trials. I'm confident I can get the bike running perfectly, it may be fine after I do a dip and replace the orings, drain plug rings, and float bowl gaskets. That is being done pending on the cycleorings and babbits delivery arrival. But in case it needs more attention, I will hopefully have some useful parts to get me on the road.

what I don't want is a prolonged downtime. I dislike downtime. I will buy a second gs450 carb set to prevent downtime lmao

plus it's my ride to school. I have a car but parking a car is twice as much as parking the moto, in fact I think I can often park the moto for free so next semester I'm not buying a parking pass at all.

Did you tell them of your experience and try to get the issue corrected? If I end up with jets that are way out of the range I need, I've no hesitation to ask for a refund. I guess I'll have the experience of learning to look forward to at any rate!
                  No, but you're right, I should've. I think what bothered me was they asked allot of good questions about the quad so they could "custom tailor" the kit for my application... and it wasn't close.
                  1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                    No, but you're right, I should've. I think what bothered me was they asked allot of good questions about the quad so they could "custom tailor" the kit for my application... and it wasn't close.
                    Well, I certainly hope it was a simple mistake on their part. Maybe someone wrote down something wrong, or the jes they sent were being stored in a mislabeled box and they didn't check them before sending them off.

At any rate, within a few weeks I'll either be happy or ordering a different step up or down from jetsrus.

I'm stoked to get it in purring condition.

Comment

The jet kit came in yesterday.
                      They sent a write up on carb cleaning and jet installation, generi, non-specific to any motorcycle. Nicely written.
                      Pilot Jets size #30
                      Two sets of main jets, one set is size 140 the other set is size 144
                      A 5/32 drill bit with a common screw (to remove idle air plug I assume)
                      A tiny #59 drill bit (no clue about this one)

Comment

Is the second drill bit to drill the slides (warning!)?
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

The small bit is intended to drill the slides, yes. Explain the 'warning' if you would, please (besides the fact that slides are very expensive to replace if things go wrong).
                          I got a 6-Sigma kit for the last bike I worked on. The instructions were fair to good, but it turned out that the jets were not the right selection for the application. The reason two different sizes are sent is that they recommend the middle cylinders get a richer size. After some trial and error, I resolved the situation with jets from JetsRUs, bike runs fine now. Was pretty frustrating, I'd consider DynoJet next time if I went down that path. I'm trying to avoid much re-jetting on the next project, if possible, by not changing much in the way of intake/exhaust.

Comment

Middle cylinders?
                            ummmm.... Mine are missing (>.>) *chuckles*

I very much doubt I want to drill the slides. Wtf?

Comment

Well, duh.. I didn't read the whole post & see you had a 450. Have a laugh on me.

Comment

Working...
                              X