Fuel Injection Conversion?Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    And yet, there is a reason it hasn't become common with these old bikes. There are no such kits that work right-and which would be priced reasonably even if they existed.
    I bet for the price of a "kit" you could get into a FI bike... Then you also inherit; radial tires, improved brakes, updated suspension, lighter structural material... ETC

Point I got from this thread is the PO wants to modernize his machine. My only recommendation is buy a modern bike... It would be be a much better bang for the buck, less of a headache and guess what? Modern bikes are bad a$$ and are affordable. (More affordable then walking down a custom FI system IMHO)

As for Carb vs FI. Each have their plus and minuses. When I Re-Flashed my Concours14 it cost $400 and was absolutely necessary when I installed the high flowing ZX-14 exhaust. If I ran stock a stock flash I could have easily damaged the engine. The flash also tweaked the Variable Valve Timing which gave me max WHP (160.8) from 9.5 RPM to 11KRpm (Flat peak HP for 1.5K RPM)... Modern design FTW... Carbs? Jets are cheap and once you learn to tune it's the definitive cheaper option. IMHO I see no difference in reliability for it you take care of your fueling system a rack of carbs can last big miles (except on my Bandit which seemed to need a set of emulsions every 20k Miles or so...). Carbs are easier/cheaper to make more HP with too... FI you'll need some competence in mapping and timing to make it run SWEET.

Do note professional tuning is pricey... and I still try to wrap my head around the fact I paid for theoretically nothing, just my tuners time and some software... But it was a considerable gain. If the bike was carbureted I could do the work myself confidently. But with the Connie (not so much TU) the Engine management system is integrated with VV-T, FI, ignition, cooling and anti-theft systems. The TU250X will be easy to tune... 1 Cylinder 2V SOHC FTW.

To have an injection conversion done correctly on a GS seems prohibitively expensive unless you have the tools in house to fabricate and then tune(either with data logger or dyno). I can tell you a well dialed in rack will yield a smooth, powerful and reliable machine... For small bucks (needles and jets are cheap).

My advice to the original PO... If you have money to blow that might ultimately get you no where Or yield no gains other then that hum when you turn they key. Then by all means go for it and write a thread, I'll be watching. But my recommendation is save the coin, do what I did and buy a modern bike. It's ok... They aren't the devil.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jedz123; 09-29-2016, 07:33 AM. Reason: Love cell phone posts... Minor auto correct and punctuation edits
    Jedz Moto
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2002 Honda Reflex 250
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
    2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
    Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
    X