Vm30's on a gs450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vm30's on a gs450

So I have a 1980 Gs450 with a mac 2-1 exhaust- open.
    I put a pair of vm30's on it with this configuration.
    159-P-0 needle jet
    6F4 needles
    3.0 slides
    165 mains
    35 pilot

Is this a good setup. Isn't where should I start? Any info will be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the site and all that. I am not going to preach on the evils of an open exhaust, but since you mentioned that's what is on your bike, you have just alientated many of the tuning gurus that might be able to help you. I don't know much about tuning VM carbs, especially for custom applications like yours, so I will just say "good luck".

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I can put the baffle back in if required. There's a saying where I live and I'm sure many others - loud pipes saves lives - I thought to myself that it makes sense but I'd really like to ride so if putting the baffle in is what I gotta do than I'm OK with that.

Comment

Sorry, but loud pipes do NOT save lives, they only irritate the neighbors.

And everybody else.

Several years ago, I met a guy who had just started riding motorcycles. I also found that he was a Paramedic and drove an ambulance. He had been brainwashed into the "Loud pipes save lives" theory.

I gave him something to think about:
        "You have a HUGE truck. It has multiple flashing lights on the front. It has a siren. It has an air horn. Does anyone ever pull out in front of you?"
        "Uh, yeah, they do."
        "And you think that a (relatively) tiny little bike with ONE light on the front that is making putt-putt sounds toward the BACK is going to save you?"
        "Uh, I think I see your point."

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

And everybody else.

Several years ago, I met a guy who had just started riding motorcycles. I also found that he was a Paramedic and drove an ambulance. He had been brainwashed into the "Loud pipes save lives" theory.

"You have a HUGE truck. It has multiple flashing lights on the front. It has a siren. It has an air horn. Does anyone ever pull out in front of you?"
          "Uh, yeah, they do."
          "And you think that a (relatively) tiny little bike with ONE light on the front that is making putt-putt sounds toward the BACK is going to save you?"

And a 5000lb cadillac that doesnt really need one gets 4 large horns and motorcycles get 1 or 2 tiny horns... never made a lick or sense to me.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Yea I took the time and read up about the importance of the baffle last night. I actually think if I put it on I might not be too far off with this setup.

Comment

Of course loud pipes save lives. If a car driver hears a loud exhaust the chances of them looking out for a bike i would say are significantly higher.

Originally posted by Steve View Post

And everybody else.

"Uh, yeah, they do."

Comment

Hi Farva how did you get on with your setup i have just finished my wee 450 with a set of vm30's not to dissimilar set up from yours and she pulls like a little train.

Originally posted by farva View Post
                So I have a 1980 Gs450 with a mac 2-1 exhaust- open.
                I put a pair of vm30's on it with this configuration.
                159-P-0 needle jet
                6F4 needles
                3.0 slides
                165 mains
                35 pilot

Is this a good setup. Isn't where should I start? Any info will be greatly appreciated
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dowser81 View Post
                  Of course loud pipes save lives. If a car driver hears a loud exhaust the chances of them looking out for a bike i would say are significantly higher.
                  The only person that will be able to hear a loud pipe is the guy guy following you. Unless you have your exhaust bolted on your handlebars and pointing forwards, then it might help. All loud pipes do is make everyone else on the road want to run over your ass because you're irritating the Hell out of them.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

What a load of nonsense you you are telling me you can’t hear a bike coming in the distance because it’s exhaust does not face forward ha ha ha. I can hear bikes coming from behind even when I’m sitting in the car especially when I’m sitting in traffic and bikes are filtering.

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                    The only person that will be able to hear a loud pipe is the guy guy following you. Unless you have your exhaust bolted on your handlebars and pointing forwards, then it might help. All loud pipes do is make everyone else on the road want to run over your ass because you're irritating the Hell out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by dowser81 View Post
                      Hi Farva how did you get on with your setup i have just finished my wee 450 with a set of vm30's not to dissimilar set up from yours and she pulls like a little train.
                      yep, any word on this?

Comment

Steve, I have to disagree with your logic. Loud pipes don't mean you'll live forever. That would be a neat trick. But a sound that attracts the attention of another driver can save a life.

If people still pull out in front of emergency vehicles with flashing lights and blaring sirens, do you think not using them would be a safer solution?
                        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Personally, I get stoked whenever I hear a loud vehicle coming my way. Agreed with Hannibal - obviously having the sirens (or loud pipes) will mean more people will notice you and therefore less likely to do something like swerve in front of you...

Back to the original topic: I'd love to see any pictures you had of the set up as well as how it's running in the current configuration. I had planned to eventually get a set of GS500 carbs for my GS450 - I also have a 2->1 - and the VM30's at $100/piece from DCC isn't the worst. Did you use OEM GS450 intake boots?
                          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                          1977 GS550
                          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
                          X