GS850 cv carb pilot air jets not stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 cv carb pilot air jets not stock?

Hello fine gentlemen/ladies of the GS resource!
    First, thank you for being a great resource over the past two years while I have been working on my buddy's bike; I couldn't have done nearly as much without your help.

Second, I have a puzzle that I would like some insight on. Long story short: bike acquired in good running condition with 4-1 and cheap eBay pods, bike was neglected for a bit and I came along to get her back on the road, I bought k&n pods to replace the cheapos, added the dynojet stage 3 kit and opened up the exhaust a bit more for my buddy's taste: engine doesn't want to run right.

Problem: when the engine starts up the rpms go all the way up to 7.5k and don't want to come down.

Notes: I have cleaned the carbs and adjusted components with the assistance of knowledgeable friends (not the bikes owner!), the shop manual, and this forum. One thing I noticed between the old ebay pods and the k&n ones is that the lip on the ebay pods covers the main air jet, pilot air jet, etc a bit. The k&n ones do not cover anything on the face of the carbs. But remember, the PO had this bike running and driving nicely. Also, the ebay pods were tapped up with electrical tape to reduce the flow of air. I am NOT doing that to the k&n pods.

And Finally,
    Questions:
    1) Is there a chance that the pilot air jet is not stock? Considering that I closed the idle speed adjuster all the way and the bike would still not come down from 7k+ rpms, the air had to be getting in somehow, correct? I removed the pilot air jets and they look HUGE ... I know they should be #200 in size, but they say 790. I originally thought they said "190", but the "7" is very pronounced.
    2) Are the pilot air jets adjustable? When I put them back in after cleaning I fully seated them. I looked to adjustment specifications, but I couldn't find any. I have seen the term "pilot air screw" floating around, but I don't know if that is the same thing...?

I appreciate any thoughts, answers, or corrections. Feel free to point me in the direction of a resource that I have most-likely missed. My current conclusion is that the pilot air jets are not stock and that I should just replace them. Cheers and thanks in advance.

"Considering that I closed the idle speed adjuster all the way and the bike would still not come down from 7k+ rpms, the air had to be getting in somehow, correct? "

Leaky boots, maybe the "choke" system not shutting off properly and letting excessive mixture bypass throttle plates. Speaking of throttle plates.... Were they bench sync'ed and all appear almost fully closed sitting on your idle stop screw?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Leaky boots, maybe the "choke" system not shutting off properly and letting excessive mixture bypass throttle plates. ... Were they bench sync'ed and all appear almost fully closed sitting on your idle stop screw?
      Great thoughts. The boots are very tight, but I do need to replace 2 of the 4 clamps as they no longer tighten properly. This could be a contributing factor. The choke control cable was disconnected by the previous owner; I cleaned it while doing the rest of the carbs but while running it was completely closed. We did bench sync the carbs... they all appear closed when the idle screw is all the way out.

Comment

I realized yesterday that I had forgotten to oil the k&n filters (RC-0984), which apparently don't come "pre-oiled". I am not sure how much of a difference dry vs. oiled filters will make, but its definitely the next step; along with bench syncing the carbs and cleaning the pin jet (under the main jet). I will circle back after I have completed those tasks.

Comment

"pin jet" ?

I assume you mean the pilot jet that resides next to main jet- make sure you reinstall the rubber plug that covers it.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            "pin jet" ?

I assume you mean the pilot jet that resides next to main jet- make sure you reinstall the rubber plug that covers it.
            No, the part of the main jet that is inside the carb body. Apparently those come out and I had no idea.

Comment

Working...
            X