Starting without choke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting without choke.

I was looking through CL and noticed this ad. It says that the bike will start without the use of the choke....like that's a good thing.

Is it ?

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

1978 is on the older side. There isn't a whole lot in terms of emission controls on those bikes. That particular bike may be running rich on the low end too.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That's an interesting observation you bring up,Larry_D! I wouldn't have noted that looking at the ad.....but it's not quite right, is it? Not in my world anyways... Assumption here is that it is a merit. But carburetted engines have "chokes" from the factory and user manual includes direction as to it's use.... Still I've seen the odd one that starts well without it.
      Maybe this bike is particularly with a non-vacuum petcock? and sits in the sun awhile?and a bit of expansion will bring fuel up into the throat ?

Comment

If it starts cold with no choke it's far too rich, period....
        Last edited by tkent02; 09-29-2016, 02:54 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Even on a 100+ degree day here I have to use the choke for a few seconds, he may have the mixture screws out a little too much.
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

He probably does.

Comment

Hard to say because it's relative to outside temps and his definition of when he's starting without choke. If it starts cold(over 60F) without choke and idles low then his carbs and valves may be spot on. If no choke and it starts cold and idles much above 1200 without blipping the throttle to keep running then probably needs adjusting.
              I guess if you like the bike go look and find out first hand. His term "immaculate" may be subject to interpretation too. It's a cool bike but not the smoothest or quickest. I owned a later version 850 triple and didn't think it was a great bike. Asking price is reasonable for what it is on paper anyways.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Not in the market for a "new" bike. I seem to have developed some arthritis in my hands and it hurts to ride very long anymore. I was just curious if starting without a choke was actually a good thing.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

It's actually a bad thing, too rich isn't good.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                    I was just curious if starting without a choke was actually a good thing.
                    It's actually a bad thing, too rich isn't good.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                      Hard to say because it's relative to outside temps and his definition of when he's starting without choke. If it starts cold(over 60F) without choke and idles low then his carbs and valves may be spot on. If no choke and it starts cold and idles much above 1200 without blipping the throttle to keep running then probably needs adjusting.
                      I guess if you like the bike go look and find out first hand. His term "immaculate" may be subject to interpretation too. It's a cool bike but not the smoothest or quickest. I owned a later version 850 triple and didn't think it was a great bike. Asking price is reasonable for what it is on paper anyways.

The 750s were smoother than the 850s, interesting to ride in a Rappa Coo sort of a way. My buddy had one, I had a nice new GS 550 at the time, I think they were both 1977s. We swapped bikes back and forth continuously. About as fast as my GS 550 when ridden the same, but really whoever wound it out the most went faster. That was me. Maybe the 750 a tad faster on top speed but it didn't corner as well as the 550.

Comment

Working...
                      X