Protect intakes while carbs are off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protect intakes while carbs are off?

I'm getting ready to pull the carbs off my GS750 and clean them out really good. But it may be a few days before I can get them put back on, and the weather is turning colder and wetter. What is a good way of preventing water and bugs from getting into the intakes while the carbs are off? I thought about tying plastic sandwich bags over them, but I wondered if anyone had a better suggestion.

Clean rags will do.

Unless you have it outside. Then I would put some cork in them.

And I, possibly some others as well, will scold you. Heck, I've seen multiple pictures of bikes taken into an apartment for maintenance.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Also, I don't think bugs will pose any problem. I suppose those would simply get burned up (Not sure about the energy stored in them, though).

Water ain't cool, but methinks I would have to be quite a lot to pose a real threat. Think bike outside in the rain, and intakes not covered.

I'm sure the elders in here have some additional insights.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Rag 'n bag.

This is one of those rare times you don't have to think too much... keep the water and squirrels out and you'll be fine.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Rags are grate, but please make sure there big enough and has some hanging out. I might have had a few before reinstalling the carbs and had to replace the head when one rag got sucked into the left cylinder.

Comment

Okay, thanks guys. My bike does live outdoors; bringing it in is a no-go. (It's a mobile home. I doubt the floors would support it.)

Squirrels -are- a potential problem; they hide walnuts on the bike when it's covered.

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
              Also, I don't think bugs will pose any problem. I suppose those would simply get burned up (Not sure about the energy stored in them, though).

Water ain't cool, but methinks I would have to be quite a lot to pose a real threat. Think bike outside in the rain, and intakes not covered.
              My biggest concern was rust in the cylinder. And we get some big bugs around here. (Stink bugs are pretty common these days, and they get into everything.) I was afraid one would get carbonized and get stuck in a valve.

Comment

The cylinders won't rust up that quickly, unless you take all winter to do your carbs.

I know stink bugs are sturdy little suckers, but they don't stand a chance against a valve spring.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If it might be a while, get a can of fogging oil and follow the directions.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

This just popped into my head - Fernco cap. plumbing supply item
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
                      I'm getting ready to pull the carbs off my GS750 and clean them out really good. But it may be a few days before I can get them put back on, and the weather is turning colder and wetter. What is a good way of preventing water and bugs from getting into the intakes while the carbs are off? I thought about tying plastic sandwich bags over them, but I wondered if anyone had a better suggestion.
                      Duct tape , Then baggies taped over them ,Spray a little fogging oil inside before sealing them off also if available of just spray a little WD 40 it's a water dispersant. Like the post below some plumbing rubber plugs or caps sound cool.
                      sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                      X