Exhaust stud bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust stud bolt

While working on my eBay special and trying to get the carb's sorted I found that after 10-15 minutes riding that the bike is inclined to turn into a 3 cylinder 750. I noticed that the number 3 pipe is considerably less blue than the rest. On inspection I found one of the replacement stainless steel exhaust bolts missing, somewhere on the road. Using the remaining bolt I have found the cylinder thread completely stripped. Is there any problem with using a Helicol thread repair kit.

GS 1000 1978

Thanks, Greg

PS. Would the loose exhaust cause a weakening of the mixture?
    Last edited by Greg65; 09-30-2016, 11:20 AM. Reason: Added question
    Suzuki GS1000 1978
    Honda CB400F 1976

Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.

Heli-coil will work, some info in this thread.

It would cause not a change in the mixture but the leak might change the back pressure causing some noise or popping.
    Last edited by steve murdoch; 09-30-2016, 02:34 PM. Reason: because i am an idiot...
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks Steve. Will pick up a kit in the morning. Definitely suffering a bit of popping.

Cheers, Greg
      Suzuki GS1000 1978
      Honda CB400F 1976

Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.

Comment

I've rethreaded numerous exhaust bolts, sometimes because they had sheared off and needed drilling out. The problem is the frame usually gets in the way. Especially if you want to use a Time-Sert or Heli-Coil. The drilling needs to be pretty spot on. If you haven't done it before, I would sincerely suggest practicing on some scrap.

If you can't get at it properly, it's head off I'm afraid but then you would be able to do a number of other jobs at the same time.

I always tap out exhaust threads on any new (old) bike I get. They are the most often abused bolts on any bike. Then use copper grease when putting in new clean bolts. Also, do not overtighten and count (when the exhaust is off) how many turns each one takes to bottom out. Then you know how many turns you can safely do. Sometimes washers are required or additional exhaust gaskets or different length bolts, just to get them in the sweet spot where they "bite" well but are not bottomed out.

Alternatively, replace with studs and never have to worry about them again.

My exhaust bolt shnanigans: Exhaust Bolts Out
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Helicoils work best through an open hole. There are other methods for retapping a blind hole.

Have a look at Time Serts to see if it helps.

A video showing how to repair damaged threads with a Time-Sert kit. It's an alternative to heli-coils, that I think is a lot better. I've used their spark pl...
          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
            Alternatively, replace with studs and never have to worry about them again.
            How would one go about doing that?

I've got a few leaky exhaust connections, and I want to know what my options are if I decide to work on them and things go south.

(Your "Exhaust Bolts Out" link is blocked for me. Blogger says I don't have permission.)

Comment

Working...
            X