plastic carb floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plastic carb floats

Perhaps a member could give me a little insight. My 77 and 79 models have brass floats. They needed to be replaced as they had rotted out and filled with fuel. The holes were small but they collapsed easily and the fuel would weep out. Now, my 83 450 is leaking fuel like another float sunk but it has plastic floats that I would guess are not subject to deterioration as the brass floats are. Is it likely that the float needle valve is stuck or do these plastic floats break down over time (and nasty fuel) as the brass models do? I did ultra sonic clean the carbs last winter and everything has been good until now. (dripping fuel from the air box overflow, won't idle correctly, plug is carbon fouled).
    Thanking you in advance.
    Brad

The foam plastic floats usually don't break down. The float valves on the other have fail often and so have petcocks. Make sure your petcock is working. Almost any of the float valves will slowly leak fuel past valve over time. Over time like within a few hours or even minutes. If the petcock is working correctly is will stop that.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

OK, that's what I was thinking. I'm guessing the petcock is good as fuel only leaks from the air box when it's running. The float valves were rust fouled when I cleaned the carbs from a rotted fuel tank (replaced). I'll order a new valve before I pull the carbs again. The 77 & 79 are easy to pull (GS400 & 425), the 83 (GS450A) is an undertaking!
      Thank you.
      Brad

Comment

Working...
      X