79 GS750 Carb tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS750 Carb tuning

Carbs are running extremely rich at around 20MPG, makes my jacket stink like straight fuel.
    Just finished top end rebuild now onto the carbs.
    Currently in the middle of rebuilding the carbs with the help of a document pulled off this forum.
    I also just ordered the Sync gauges off Amazon so should be here in two weeks.
    Got the first carb disassembled with the main jet showing 1025

Will cleaning them and syncing them help that much with the mileage?

Yes, and tuning them properly. Make sure you read up that as well. Good to read you're doing your own mechanical work. You should be getting around 40mpg with that bike.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      Yes, and tuning them properly. Make sure you read up that as well. Good to read you're doing your own mechanical work. You should be getting around 40mpg with that bike.
      Closer to 50 if you're not racing it everywhere you go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        Yeah i should do some reading on that cause i am quite new to this lol
        When you say tuning, the only things that i could see that were adjustable were the "pilot air screw", "pilot fuel screw"... also have another on the outside i am assuming if for the sync gauges.

Any recommendation on sources/procedures to help with this tuning

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Closer to 50 if you're not racing it everywhere you go.
          Well if its closer to 50, im way way off

Comment

Tuning VM carbs is all described on Cliffs site, http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/ look under the VM rebuild which you probably already have and under 'plug chop idle mixture adjustments' and somewhere in there it describes how to adjust things with the highest rpm method.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by ehkmcveh View Post
              Well if its closer to 50, im way way off

A lot of that may be ignition related if you are still running points ignition and if you haven't maintained them lately.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                A lot of that may be ignition related if you are still running points ignition and if you haven't maintained them lately.
                Thanks,im gonna see about the carb tuning procedure after i get them cleaned and go from there....

Comment

Do the ignition too. They need routine adjustments every year or so, and it probably hasn't been done in 30 years.

Comment

Working...
                  X