All kinds of fuel related problems.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All kinds of fuel related problems.....

Hello, I am new to the site and to this type of bike. I have a 1980 GS1100 (I am not sure of the letter) it has been previously hacked to a cafe racer type. It already has pods, 4 into 1 supertrapp exhaust (no baffles). Its already been jetted with 127.5's. The PO didnt spend the money on a stock petcock amd put a generic ball valve. With the help of this site, I've learned that the petcock is important, so I've replaced it. Originally, it would pour fuel from #4 carb after shutdown, in addition to running rough. I replaced needle, seat and float in #4. When I did that, it quit pouring fuel from #4, and decided to pour fuel from #3 and the vent between #3 and #4. I've cleaned the carbs, checked for air leaks, etc. I have no idea where to go from here. It still runs rough from idle to about 4 or 5k. After that, she screams. Where20160911_183533.jpg should I go?

Well, you took the correct first step, you came HERE.

When you "cleaned the carbs", how did you do that? Just opening up the bowls and spritzing some cleaner in there is not going to do the job. Let me introduce you to OUR LIBRARY. You can download a manual for your bike, which appears to be an 1100E, or at least what's left of it is.

There is a Carb Cleaning Tutorial that shows the proper way to clean your carbs. Do not waste any money on "carb rebuild kits". They contain parts of questionable quality and don't even have all the parts you really need. All you usually need is an o-ring kit, which is available from one of our members at Cycle o-rings.com.

Above all, please read the Top Ten Newbie Mistakes thread. Pay attention to any items that might sound familiar.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X