80 GS55E Carburator issues "is it a Frankenstein?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS55E Carburator issues "is it a Frankenstein?"

I am doing a custom GS550E build. I purchased this bike as a literal basket case. I have been working on coming up with a set of carbs to fit this thing and have ran into something strange. The spacing on a set of 550 carbs is wrong. They are about 1/4" narrow. I found a set of carbs from an 850 and the spacing is spot on. The carbs are the same in bore and mikuni model. They are just spaced differently and I assume the jetting will be different. I guess my question is has anyone ran into this before? The engine designation is a GS550. Could someone have changed the cylinder head to a 850? I purchased new intake rubber from an online dealer based in china. Maybe the intake boots are for an 850? I can make this combo work. I am just at a loss as to what the heck I have here. I have fired this engine on an alternative fuel source and it runs good.

Can we get a picture of the bike and the carb boots on the intake side? I have a feeling your boots might be on the wrong sides as each have a specific side to be on.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I will snap a few pics in the morning. Its at the shop. I can say they are angled to the outside with the vacuum test ports on the bottom. They matched the old boots that I took off. But who's to say they were correct.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2016, 09:47 PM.

Comment

When you do, each boot should have an L or R on the top for left and right.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

I don't recall any markings on them at all. I will definitely take a closer look! Thanks! I will get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

I looked at the boots again today. I cant find any markings anywhere on the new boots or the old. They all match in size and angle. This engine had a set of 550 carbs on it when I picked it up. It took everything I had in me to pry the darn things off the engine. The old boots are covered in sealant in an old attempt to seal the tears caused by I'm guessing forcing the carbs onto the engine. Here are some of the photos I took if it helps.

IMG_2376.jpg

Comment

IMG_2379.jpg550 carb rail too narrow in the middle

Comment

IMG_2378.jpgLeft is the 550 Right is 850. The 850 pop right on.

Comment

But it is finally turning into a motorcycle!

IMG_2375.jpg

Comment

If they were that hard to remove then you're going to want to replace them and the orings that come with them. I know they are expensive but you really want stock boots from a reputable Suzuki dealer and get new orings from www.cycleorings.com. Those OEM boots will have the markings on that I mentioned and will fit properly for your bike/carbs.

On a side note, what shocks are you putting onto the bike?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by gbs View Post
                      But it is finally turning into a motorcycle!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47816[/ATTACH]
                      I see the picture you posted, but I am still looking for the "motorcycle" that you mentioned.

Comment

Yeah, I was kinda wondering that too.

Comment

wow..... well that answers some questions

Comment

Yeah, where's the bike?
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Wow.... I'm not building it to meet your approval. I'm building it to meet mine.

Thanks for helping me figure out why the intake port spacing doesn't match what it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X