Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G Jetting for 4 into 1 exhaust

Hi,

New here, so firstly it's great to find such a dedicated site~!
    Looking forward to sharing information

I have a 1980 GS1000G with a 4 into 1 system. Runs ok but I have gone with some advice and ordered 42.5 pilot jets and 120 mains in the hope to release some hidden ponies.

Question I have is around shimming the needles (adding washers) to lift the needles slightly. How many washers/shims do I add to each needle? 1 more only or more than that?
    IMG_3738.jpg
    Thanks!

Welcome, but we are going to need some more details before we can offer any meaningful suggestions.

I am going to have to assume that your stock jets were like the ones we were blessed with here in the USA. 40 pilot, 115 main. There should be NO need to change the pilot. You only need to change jetting when you change airflow. You could run velocity stacks on the intakes and straight pipes on the exhaust, but when the pilot jets are the ones metering the fuel, your throttle butterflies are what is causing reduced airflow. That will not change.

Wide open throttle is another matter. From your picture, it appears that you have a stock airbox. That will minimize jetting changes. The changes required by the 4 into 1 will depend on how much more air it can flow. Without meters to measure that, you can get a decent idea by listening. A quieter exhaust (yours looks decent) will be quieter because it is restricting airflow, so will only need minimal changes in jetting. However, a louder, competition-style exhaust will require larger jets.

Shimming needles is not just adding washers, it is replacing a larger spacer with several thinner washers. When you have the needle apart (don't your needles have more than one slot? ), look for the large nylon spacer at the top. Replace that with a shorter stack of thin washers (might be 3mm washers) to raise the needle. The needle is pushed up by the spring. The only way the needle will sit higher (richer mixture) is to lessen the height of what is above the clip. If you have multiple grooves for the clip, move the clip down (toward the pointy end). With your setup, you might only need to go one notch.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

117.5 Mains. Stock Pilots, raise needle equivalent to about half the spacer. (two clips if it had them - the Canadian ones do).

You only need the bigger pilots with Pod Filters. Even with a K&N inbox I didn't need them . I tried every combination possible at some point, stock airbox & K&N inbox with 4:1 is where I ended up.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I actually haven't had the carbs apart as yet so cannot reply on what size the current jets are.
        I will respond back here once I see what's what and also whether I have adjustable needle height..

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by tools99 View Post
          I actually haven't had the carbs apart as yet so cannot reply on what size the current jets are.
          And yet you ordered replacements? HOPING they are different (larger)?

If you happen to have any more extra money just lying around, I do accept donations.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

They're only $2 buck each so I won't loose sleep over it. can always give them away to mates anyway. people in my circles always playing with carbs.

Comment

Working...
            X