Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki Gs450 Mac 2 into 1 exhaust clamps

Hi everyone.

This is my first build and I'm running into quite a few more seemingly simple issues that I can't manage to solve.

I'm trying to install the Mac 2 into 1 exhaust for my 83 GS450. On the stock exhaust, there are the fanned exhaust clamps that don't seem like they can be removed. However, the Mac exhaust doesn't not have these and only has two plates that do not sit flush with the exhaust ports on the engine. Even if I could remove the clamps (or bought new ones) one piece of the Mac exhaust is welded in a way that prevents sliding the clamp on.

What am I missing? Do I need to cut the exhaust, slide the clamps on, and then weld the exhaust? Am I supposed to just use the two plates on the exhaust already? Or can I find clamps that split in half to put on the exhaust? Or should I just abandon the Mac altogether for other options (and what would you recommend?)

Thanks for any and all advice.

Post a pic of the exhaust as well as the clamps that came with it so maybe we can see how its supposed to go together

Comment

Here are pictures of what I'm looking at. You can see the small plate that is attached to the headers. This plate can't move forward or backwards. Looking at the picture (it's kind of hard to tell), there is about an inch of space between the plate and the exhaust ports. The tubing fits into the ports, but the plate comes nowhere near sitting flush with the engine.

Should I just get some spacers to make up for the gap, or is there a way to put the finger clamps on?

Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is another picture of just the header. IMG_20161014_100053.jpg

Comment

Those plates take the place of the finned clamps that were originally fitted. You should find that the holes in the plates line up with the threads in the head. You'll want two new exhaust gaskets, if you don't already have them. Then either fit bolts (with accompanying lock washers) through the plates, or fit studs into the threads, mount the exhaust and fix with nuts and lock washers. Anti-sieze would be good. Don't worry that the plate doesn't fit flush against the head. The seal is achieved when the flared end of the pipe tightens onto the gasket, and slightly crushes it against the ehaust port. Also don't over-tighten initially. It's easier to tighten a little more if required, than it is to extract a sheared stud/bolt.
          Last edited by steveb922; 10-14-2016, 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling
          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
            Those plates take the place of the finned clamps that were originally fitted. You should find that the holes in the plates line up with the threads in the head. You'll want two new exhaust gaskets, if you don't already have them. Then either fit bolts (with accompanying lock washers) through the plates, or fit studs into the threads, mount the exhaust and fix with nuts and lock washers. Anti-sieze would be good. Don't worry that the plate doesn't fit flush against the head. The seal is achieved when the flared end of the pipe tightens onto the gasket, and slightly crushes it against the ehaust port. Also don't over-tighten initially. It's easier to tighten a little more if required, than it is to extract a sheared stud/bolt.
            Yup do what Steve says those clamps are only meant to press the exhaust header into the heads so your gasket can make a seal they don't need to be flush with the engine don't cut anything

Comment

Just be sure your old gasket is out before putting the new ones in to avoid any leaks and headaches

Comment

Great! Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X