Can't remove inlet needle seats from CV carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't remove inlet needle seats from CV carb

They are the type that just push in. Corrosion seems to have seized them in place and I haven't had any luck removing them so far. Anyone have any methods they've already came up with to deal with this?

Try to twist them after spraying some penetrating oil (PB Blaster) around them. I use some needle nose pliers to twist them. Once they turn freely you should be able to just pull them out. Just be careful you don't squish/distort them while doing so.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I've had carbs where the needle valve seats were destroyed because I couldn't get them out. The portion of the seat that sticks up for you to grab with pliers is thin walled and will crush down if you pinch too hard. Not sure what to suggest other than PB blaster and heat, several cycles worth.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I usually try to grab them with the needle nose pliers straight up instead of across the top. Seems to reduce the damaging. I have has some so buggered up that they could not be reused again but not very common. The heat is a good suggestion. Direct the heat more toward the body then the seat. Don't worry too much about overheating anything as long as you've already removed the soft components like the enrichment plunger, pilot jet plug and float.

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

They were really in there. Only a couple would even move at all with pliers. I ended up driving the tapered blade of a screwdriver into them and finally got them out like that.

Comment

I'm guessing that you'll have to replace the seat/valve assembly now with new ones.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yep. They were pretty corroded anyway and the needles had a little wear, so no big loss.

Comment

HL138ACP.jpg These compound pliers from Snap-on provide approx.75% more clamping force then ordinary pliers for something like you are doing,also stubborn cotter pins, stuck dowel pins, you name it. If used properly they really don't squeeze things that out of round either. I have demonstrated them to several other mechanics and it was hard for them to really believe how well they actually worked. The cutter is unbelievable.
                sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

And if you scar the bore or squish the hole out of round you have just ruined the float seats. A little oil, some heat to soften the hard oring, and a thin blade between the seat base and carb body. Twist the balde a bit to break the seal and allow oil to seep in and they come out without damage.

But first..go to the friggin store and buy yourselves a big azzed can of patience while working on 30 year old stuff.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
                    These compound pliers from Snap-on provide approx.75% more clamping force then ordinary pliers for something like you are doing,also stubborn cotter pins, stuck dowel pins, you name it. If used properly they really don't squeeze things that out of round either. I have demonstrated them to several other mechanics and it was hard for them to really believe how well they actually worked. The cutter is unbelievable.
                    Yeah, I need to get some of those eventually.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    And if you scar the bore or squish the hole out of round you have just ruined the float seats. A little oil, some heat to soften the hard oring, and a thin blade between the seat base and carb body. Twist the balde a bit to break the seal and allow oil to seep in and they come out without damage.

But first..go to the friggin store and buy yourselves a big azzed can of patience while working on 30 year old stuff.
                    Not sure if this was intended as a dig at me? They were firmly corroded in place. Even if I could have extracted them without further damage it would have probably not been a great idea to reuse them (few things bother me like needle and seat issues). A few of the needles also had a ring worn into them, so they needed replacement anyway. A 6-pack of K&L replacement needles would have been $24 (IIRC) and I got four new Mikuni needle and seat assemblies for $58.40.

FWIW, this 35-year-old bike is actually the newest thing I own that is self-propelled (IIRC). Daily-driver and work truck is 1965, project car is 1968, small general-purpose tractor 1967. I've long ago learned there is a time for gentle patience and a time for not worrying about damaging stuff that wasn't reusable anyway.

Example: When I take a usable engine apart I am very careful to make sure I don't damage anything. But when I had an old 250 inline six that had filled with water years ago and busted the block + seized the pistons in the bores, what did I do to salvage the rods? Carefully avoid damaging the pistons when removing them? No. With a piece of 1" bar stock as a drift punch and a 10lb hammer, I removed them in as many pieces as they wanted to be in when they came out!

Comment

Not a dig at anyone. People think they can grip the seats with pliers and go monkey azz crazy and the find out they have egged out the seats and the needles wont work freely. it doesnt work out well in the end to get all anxioius and just start clamping and twisting on hem. Just issuing fair warning advice.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X